Yearning

'Stowaway', Montauk

Ava entered the bar and then stood rooted to the spot, when she saw how spick and span everything was. She had expected to clean up after the party from the evening before. But apparently the other hardworking helper had done the job. She went to the tables, put the chairs down, and placed them neatly.

"Good morning!" With a big smile, Jack came down the stairs.

"Good morning!" She was annoyed that her pulse was getting faster again. But he looked really incredibly good in his white shirt and the black jeans. His hair was still slightly moist and curled in the neck, he probably came from the shower. As he came closer, she inadvertently caught the tangy cedar fragrance of his aftershave. "Someone was already busy," she said, pointing to the clean floor.

"The cleaning crew that I had hired brought me out of bed early." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I had hoped for a few hours of sleep. Guess I have to catch up on it another time."

"Is Carl already awake?" She gestured to the top.

Jack nodded. "I've already taken him to the daycare. After that, I had to take care of myself." He looked at his watch. "You're way too early," he said, frowning.

"Yes, I know. But I thought I could help with the cleanup. After all, I belong to the staff and I'm as responsible to the bar's state as the owner." She said, raising her eyebrows.

"That's what I call dedication for the job." He nodded approvingly and then spread his arms. "As you can see, it's all done." He looked at her thoughtfully. "Do you want to go to the beach?" He suggested spontaneously.

She looked at him surprised. She had noticed that he had become more relaxed with her since last night. And she had to admit that she had enjoyed his closeness very much. Both shared a secret now, which made things even more exciting. Be careful, Ava! She warned herself. You know where that can lead if you are too trustworthy. "Yes, I would like that." The words were out before she could stop them.

"Wait a moment!"

Perplexed, she looked after him as he ran upstairs and then came back with an empty canning jar.

"What is it for?" She asked curiously.

"Sea glass, shells, or starfish," he said, smiling. "Actually everything you can find on the beach."

"This is a nice idea. We can take them as a decoration for the tables," she suggested.

"We..." he muttered, looking at her thoughtfully.

"What?" Confused, she blinked at him.

"We," he repeated. "You spoke about us in the third person."

Ava felt her heart throbbing nervously as their eyes locked. Nolan had been right with his claim that Jack felt more for her than a boss for his employee. But could she allow that, even though she wanted to? She moistened her dry lips. "Didn't we want to go to... to the beach?" She stammered.

Jack tore his eyes away from her. "Yes, let's go."

At this time there was almost nobody on the beach. Only a few joggers and dog owners who walked their dogs. Ava sat down on a tree trunk and looked out into the ocean. "How peaceful it is," she said, breathing in the fresh sea air.

"Yeah, it's beautiful here early in the morning, just after sunrise." He sat down beside her and took some sand and let it trickle through his fingers. "I'm often on the beach. My wife and I got married here," he said quietly.

Ava felt her stomach tighten. She remembered the tragic circumstances of her death; Amanda Porter, the real Emily Thorne. When she looked up at Jack, she spotted tears in his eyes. Instinctively, she laid her hand on his. "I am so sorry! Nolan told me about it. What a terrible loss!" As he raised his head and met her eyes, she knew the inevitable would happen. She closed her eyes and waited with an excited, beating heart that he would kiss her.

"Since the moment I saw you the first time, I wanted to do it," he whispered and leaned forward to touch her lips with his.

Although she had expected the kiss, she was shocked about the fierceness of her own physical reaction. Scarcely his lips had touched hers, she felt her pulse throbbing violently, her body automatically pushing against him and her knees softening. She was glad that she was sitting, because otherwise her knees would have given way under her.

"Ava..." he moaned as he ran his fingers through her long hair and kissed her fervently.

Everything in her longed for his kisses and his sensual touch. She had waited so long for physical pleasures that she was completely famished. But the little bit of will power ordered her to stop. Gently but firmly she pushed against his chest, until he finally interrupted the kiss. "Not here," she said softly.

He immediately understood and jumped up. "We have time yet to open the bar," he said, still struggling for air and reached for her hand.

Although an inner voice warned her not to rush things between them, she grabbed his hand and walked with him across the beach, along the harbor, back to the Stowaway.