JADE [39]

(Sunday) (January)

-JADE-

CHURCH.

It's not the building that makes church, church. It's the people gathered there with one goal and one purpose. To worship the most high. To give praise and thanks to God for being who he is.

Church. A place that is also known as a hospital for sinners. At a young age, my mom taught me to not expect saints and angels when I go to church. Everyone sins. "We're all sinners, Jady", she'd tell me. Sick people go to hospitals, hoping that a doctor will have the answer. A sinner goes to God, hoping to save their soul and not be condemned for life.

Church. I asked Fabe one time, why is it important to go to church? Today, her answer is still so clear in my mind. It's as if I can hear her answering it right now. Church is God's idea. Church is mentioned a lot in the Bible. Church is God's idea. The building doesn't make the church, but where two or three are in gathered in his name, his presence is there. We just so happen to often be in a building when we gather. Church is God's idea, so we must do what God tells us because he knows better than anyone. That was the answer that Fabe gave me.

Church. I can testify to how great of a feeling I've always gotten when I was in church. I can attest to how at peace I always felt when I used to attend church. Yet, today, on this beautiful Sunday, if someone was to randomly come up to me ask me when was the last time I stepped foot in a church, I wouldn't be able to answer them.

It's been that long.

But I'm at church today.

"God, is so good! Can somebody testify how good God is, has been, and always will be!" Melanie shouts into the mic and all six campuses break out in praises.

"Let me remind you of something real quick, in case someone doesn't understand how, and why God is so  good. You opened two gifts this morning that some didn't have a chance to. You opened your eyes! You got in your car and drove here, and you got here safe and sound. Meanwhile, there are some people who got in their cars this morning and ended up at a hospital. Some of them ended up at the morgue. Some are in ambulances on their way to hospitals. But you're here! In the presence of the Lord, given another chance, another opportunity to let him into your life! To thank him! To praise him! To worship him, because he is good! He is faithful! He is merciful! Because we're sinners and he still sent his only son to die for us! He calls us his children! Give God some praise because he chose you! You didn't choose him, but he chose you! Give God some praise in this room!"

A cosmonaut in space can hear the praises and screams that suddenly breaks out in the room. I look around me and people are jumping, some are on their knees, some are crying, some have their arms lifted, some are clapping, and overall, everyone looks to be worshipping.

Something is urging me to break out in thanks and worship as well, but I'm too into my head, so I hold back. I settle for simply clapping my hands. The place is on fire. It's as if you can feel that something powerful is here. It's as if something, or someone, is touching these people. I'm pushed again to just drop to my knees and cry out.

God's given me another chance. I should be going crazy like these people. I feel deeply within me that it's what I want to do, and yet, I also feel held by something else that refuses for me to do so. It's a battle taken place in me right now.

When I turn to look at Kiana, I'm blown away. She's on her knees with her arms lifted in the air. Instead of breaking out in shouts of praise, I burst out crying. I don't know why, but I start crying uncontrollably. It comes with a great amount of force. My body jolts and trembles with each sob that leaves my body.