Now

Later that evening, Curtis had called me, Edgar and some of the other stronger men in the tail section to Gilliam's quarters. Once there Curtis explained his plan to us in full, piecing together the segment's we had been told across the last week. As we all knew, the steel drums that had been collected and tied together were going to be used to jam the gates open. Curtis and the other men were planning to lift the drums forward towards the front of the carriage. The tail end passengers had been told to collect any makeshift weapons they could, along with any knives they had managed to come across. While a team of passengers pushed the steel drums through the gates it was up to the remaining people to take out the guards with their blades. "If all goes well we do this tonight, the last ration round. That's when we hit." Curtis finished before dismissing the others back to work.

"I am coming, you know that." I suddenly said to Curtis before he could leave. He sighed, "I don't want you getting hurt Hazel, I don't even think you've ever killed someone." Curtis replied in a low voice, clearly ashamed that he had. I walked closer to him and embraced him in a hug, and to my surprise, instead of standing stiffly, he held me close, just like we had that night before everything went wrong. "I'm a nurse, when things go South, I'll be there to help out. I might be lucky enough to never have had to kill someone, but I'm sure, that when push comes to shove, everything I've seen, everything you've taught me and everything I know will come into use." I spoke softly into his chest. Curtis gently pressed a kiss on top of my head, a blush instantly rose to my cheeks. "Besides, you know I'm nifty with a blade, how else would I have removed that gigantic metal splinter from Edgar's foot!" I stated with a laugh, Curtis pulled away and smiled. "Just be prepared, this is going to be like nothing we have ever seen before. Grab a larger knife and pack all the medical supplies you can. Have it ready and on you from now on, we don't know when this will start." I nodded solemnly, jokes aside this was serious, and I had to be fully prepared to not only lose my life but also witness the death of my friends. I released my arm from Curtis and began to leave. But suddenly I felt his hand grab mine. I spun on my heel looking back to him, thankful that in these dark times, regardless of what our relationship was or was becoming, that physical boundaries had been broken. "Hazel, please stay safe, you mean the world to me." Curtis suddenly spoke. If I hadn't been trying to remain serious during this difficult time a massive smile would have covered my face. But these circumstances tainted the wonderful words that just came from Curtis's mouth. "And you mean the world to me Curtis, more than you will ever know," I replied before squeezing his hand and letting go, leaving him in Gilliam's quarters.

After tending to Andrew once more, I stayed close by as I grabbed a small make-do backpack and began filling it. I added some rusty medical scissors, plasters, tweezers, a diluted mixture of water and Kronole for pain relief, gauze, a needle, thread, and bandages, lots and lots of bandages to the bag. I looked at the contents quite proud of what I had been able to put together across the time I'd spent on board, I looked across my work station and focused on the first aid kit that I had been given 17 years ago, the day I stepped on the train. I walked over to it, opening it up to look inside, I had used most of its content over the years, all that remained was the single foil heat blanket I started with, I chuckled picking it up so I could add it to the rucksack, but hidden underneath, at the bottom of the box was the red cross armband. The symbol of hope so many passengers in the tail section looked for when we first boarded the train. Months into our voyage I stopped wearing it. After seeing so many people die, unable to help them, I felt unworthy of the role. But now, after all, I'd seen, everyone I'd saved and what we were going to do, the symbol of hope might just benefit the tail sections revolt. As I placed the armband over my right arm I could hear the rhythmic chant of the tail end passengers as they moved the long line of steel drums they had been relentlessly working on. "One, two, one, two, one, two." They continued as they all lugged the drums towards the front of the tail section, placing them on wheeled, trolly like platforms. As I placed my smaller knife into my boot carefully I grabbed a larger blade and added it to my belt, I could hear Curtis ordering the tail end passengers. "To the left. And right. Not yet, up. Now left." Moments later, the carriages artist, only known as Painter, appeared beside us as I zipped up the rucksack and slipped it into my back. I smiled at the small plump man. He often sketched the horrors or wonders of the tail section and I wondered what caused him to come to us.

"Hello? Andrew. Andrew!" The painter began, attempting to wake him, I went to object but Painter shushed me and continued. "Rise and shine. When you dream too much of the sun, you forget the trees." The artist spoke as he came to Andrews side. The father had now stirred. "I believe this is your son. I'm sorry, it's not very good. It's not my best work, it's a little dark." The painter began as he held out a scruffy looking piece of paper with a beautiful painting of Andy across it. Tears pricked my eyes, it was almost like a photo, it was beautiful. Andrew thought so too as he stared at it intently. "If you look very deep into the eyes, you can see a little bit of hope." Painter finished, just as Tanya popped her head over her bunk that was above Andrew. "What about my boy? You got one of Timmy?" She asked as she practically threw herself down the bunk. "Yes Tanya, I do!" The painter replied.

"Easy, easy. Don't hurt yourself." I panicked as I watched her wince and clutch her sides. "Here, there you go, Timmy." The painter said as Tanya erratically grabbed the piece of paper. I couldn't see the picture Painter had given her but judging by the tears and cries coming from Tanya it was pretty good. "Look at him. One little smile." Tanya said as she came to my side. She looked forward staring at Curtis before grabbing my hand with her free one and pulling me towards him. "Curtis, you gotta let me come with you," Tanya ordered to my shock, she was badly injured, she couldn't be apart of the revolution, not in her state. Curtis read my face and felt the same way. "No, Tanya, I'm sorry." He said sensibly. Tanya looked between the two of us. "You will be if you don't let me come. I'm going to the front and I'm gonna make that bitch sorry she put a hand on my boy." Tanya answered stubbornly, letting go of my hand and walking in front of Curtis as he continued to run checks along the barrel line he and the other men had created. "Make this one tighter," Curtis asked a man tying up a rope around the steel bin, completely ignoring Tanya. Curtis looked to me briefly, trying to read my thoughts on the issue. I just frowned, if she wasn't injured I'd be in full support of her coming, but I was just scared of her doing herself a worse injury.

"You know I'm stronger than all these skinny ass soldiers anyway." Tanya continued. "Please." She begged, holding up Painters portrait of Timmy. Curtis and I stopped and looked at the wonderful image of Tim. My heart broke for her. The desperation was clear in Tanya's voice. I looked at Curtis and nodded, she needed to come. "Curtis as I'm coming..." I began causing him to raise an eyebrow, "Then I, the nurse, will be on hand to care for Tanya." The woman smiled at me as we awaited Curtis's answer. But suddenly an alarm began to sound causing the men working on the steel drums to swear out of shock. We were preparing to hit back soon, possibly by the end of today at the last ration call, which meant we still should've had another four hours to prepare, but with the alarm continuing to alert us of the guards soon arrival it was only seconds until we either got caught or made our move. Curtis looked to me before rushing forward. "Stick to the plan!" I shouted alongside Curtis as we ran up and down the barrel contraption the tail end had made.
"Hide it, hide it," Curtis shouted as he rushed past me. "Hide that, hide your weapons in your clothes." I commanded as I checked my own 'medical' knife in my belt, hoping the guards wouldn't notice that I had swapped it for an increasingly large one whilst I was sorting the supplies earlier. With the barrels pushed back as far as we could get it, I took my normal spot in line next to Curtis and Edgar. The steel drums had been hidden as best they could behind us as we all stood shielding the antics hidden behind us. I looked to Curtis just as the gate unlocked. This was it.