Chapter 13 | exploring the mansion

Start from the beginning

It was well-defined at the center of the vast field in the courtyard.

This place was a fairyland.

"Mrs. Horton, welcome home."

Jana helped me out of the car and walked me out of the parking.

"What about the shopping bags? We left them in the car."

"Don't be worried. There are a bunch of people around here, who are paid to take care of that. Come, let's go inside."

Up the multiple stairs which led to the estate, men and women, dressed up in black and white costumes stood in two perpendicular lines.

They braced their hands and grinned flawlessly.

"Welcome Mrs. Horton and Ms. Jana."

The men bowed to a little angle while the women curtsy as Jana and I walked into the mansion.

The gesture was uniform and incredibly colorful.

"It's a pleasure to have you here Ms. Jana," a lady with grey hair swept in a high bun and a purple cotton gown smiled at Jana. "Mrs. Horton, you are welcome home. Mr. Horton informed the house personnel about your arrival, so everything is ready. I'm Camilla, the person at the head of the house staff."

She made a little bow.

"Camilla, drop all the formalities. You are scaring the young lady, by the way, where is Liam?" Jana asked and strolled to another section of the mansion.

"Liam is upstairs and has been jumping the whole day from the moment he heard that his elder brother's wife is on her way home. That little angel refused to learn till he sees Mrs. Horton."

The mansion made me speechless, but the news about Dwain having a little brother left me shocked and as I raised my eyes, little steps rushed down the red-carpeted stairs.

"Aunty Jan." The little boy in bugs bunny pajamas opened his hands and Jana placed her glass of water on a slab before carrying him in her embrace. "I missed you, " he snuggled into the crook of her neck and closed his eyes.

God, those fluffy cheeks of his, his scattered hair, and his little hands. I couldn't stop staring.

The boy looked exactly like his elder brother but the little version and the nicer version.

"Aunty Jan loves Liam, " she peeked at his cheeks and earned a chuckle from him. "Come, you promised to present your new toys to me, didn't you?" She placed him on the bright red rug and ruffled his hair.

The boy was hesitant at first when his eyes caught me staring, but Jana didn't give him the honor to stand his ground.

She lifted him to her chest and made crazy noises while carrying him up the stairs.

"Liam is a little bundle of joy and he loves socializing with everyone. You will love him. If you will permit me to take you to your room, it's this way."

"HERE IS THE BATHROOM and there you have a private library. I didn't know where to position your bed, so I instructed the house staff to make it as close as possible to the terrace. Your clothes will be in here. . ."

Camilla went on and on, showing me around the room.

It was ten times bigger than my room at home.

In the center of the room rested a king-size bed, dressed in medieval sheets and tucked in wolf blankets.

Greek portraits and colorful curtains added more beauty to the room

"Is there something lacking?"

Camilla interlocked her hands and glanced at me.

The room was deceiving and captivating, but I didn't plan to stay.

Escaping and proving my innocence stood out as a top priority.

Yet, something was lacking.

"Yes, little straps of pink."

"It's not a problem, I will make sure the renovations are done. Mr.Horton will soon be here with his mother for a family dinner. Mrs. Horton, you need to get ready before 7:00 pm."

Camilla walked out and some maids came in with my shopping bags.

They arranged each of my belonging in the right place and took their leave.

I had thirty minutes to get ready before the clock stroke at 7 pm.

I took a bath and retired to my closet.

Lightning and thunderstorms stroke into my room and heavy rains began their downpour.

I didn't stop thinking of the family dinner.

The thought of Dwain being present nauseated me.

Five minutes to seven and my outfit was completed with a touch of lip balm and beautiful sandals to go with a flowery knee-length gown.

My thick hair cascaded to my back, covering the little opening at my neck.

The knocks on the door pulled me out of my thoughts and a young maid entered.

"Mrs. Horton, your presence is needed downstairs."

I took a deep breath as I stepped down the multiple stairs which led to the dining.

The dining was adorned with multiple champagnes, table napkins, cutlery, and glasses of all dimensions.

"This way, " the maid murmured and helped me into a seat. "Ms. Jana was in a hurry, so she left before the heavy downpour. She urged me to inform you."

Liam came running down, refusing to put on his socks.

The maid excused herself and left my presence.

"Liam, come on, it's just a pair of socks." Camilla groaned.

"Boys don't wear socks, it's for girls."

Liam's words made me laugh hard and just then, I heard two people arguing.

The arguments were picked up in the sitting room.

The male voice was familiar but the female voice wasn't.

"One week out of town and you got wedded without informing Brielle nor myself. Then, you have the nerve to stick your nose into the type of men I should hang out with? If your friend's daddy is the man I want to be happy with, then stay out of it."

"Mother, you won't dare do such a thing. Think of how ashamed dad is right now listening to your nasty words. Mother, that's over my dead body. Mère, je ne permettrai pas une telle chose."

"Shut up and give your mother some respect you, silly boy. Don't drag your late, father, into this, I have the right to be happy. Why can't you be happy for me Dwain? I hate the new you."