She sniffles, and it takes her a second to respond. "The uh, the pack house please, Kaius." Reese pulls away from her daughter just long enough to look at the closed trunk, as though looking passed the metal and at her husband. She sighs, "But take Rebecca back to school—"

"Mom!" Rebecca is bleary eyed and sniffling as the shout escapes her. 

Reese shakes her head. "I'll be back there soon enough. But, I need to handle your father, and his actions," she punctuates the statement by waving at her dried blood that pooled into her shirt, turning it nearly burgundy. "You don't need to be there when that happens."

Rebecca's wings twitch with emotional effort, and she's practically red from not breathing. She grabs for Reese's hand. "Mom, I just got you back..." her voice trembles.

"And you'll still have me... When we're both less bloody and you've let your mate hold you so he looks less like he wants to grab you and run," Reese chuckles.

Rebecca's laugh comes with much difficulty and I watch in continued silence as she brings her mom's hand to her cheek. "Why are you so calm about dying?"

Reese smiles, and it's sad, wistful. "Because I know where I'm going."

She pulls away then, placing a kiss on Rebecca's forehead before heading toward the passenger seat of the car where Mace opens her door before leaving the clearing.

I look back at my pack, seeing that most of them have cleared out, save for Heaven and Chev who look just about done with giving us the curtesy of not seeing them fuck on the grass, and Max who stares into the distance.

I wonder if her girlfriend's back.

Not finding anything else to be taken care of, I turn back to Rebecca, only to find her watching me.

The second our gazes meet, she practically drags me down to eye level, pulling me into her suprisingly strong embrace.

When her skin touches mine, I find my lower lip trembling and as my arms wind around her back, I can no longer stand, bringing us crashing to our knees on the grass.

Damn. Touch starvation is definitely real.

Unwillingly, I sniffle as I rub my nose against her head, ignoring the layers of tape there.

When I open my eyes, my vision hones in on the bandage wrapped around the tip of her wing.

"What happened here?" I ask, loosening my grip on her waist, touching a finger to the bandage.

Rebecca flinches as though she's been smacked in the gut. "Slate and his little fucking arrows."

I force myself not to laugh at her swearing, and I remove my other arm from her. It's a pity he's already dead.

"Well, let's take care of this then." I hold up my right hand, shifting my index finger until a claw forms.

I use it to cut into my left palm, and taking Rebecca's hand, do the same.

She doesn't question it, though she cringes at the pain. When I press the two together, she gasps. The thoughts of hundreds of pack members are filling her head, not to mention the emotions.

I'll teach her how to drown it out later, but something else is more important. 

I hold her hand in mine, listening to her jumbles thoughts as I watch her wound slowly begin to heal, before it fades so quickly you'd never know it was there if you hadn't seen it bleeding. 

Not checking to see if my own cut is healed, I reach for the bandage, and gently, trying not to touch her—because this is neither the time nor the place—I tug it off. 

I smile as I see it. It's just begun to fade as I take away the bandage, and by the time it's fully removed, she's fine.

As though sensing this, Rebecca flaps her wings. "They're fixed?"

"Yeah," I smile, allowing her to drag me back for another kiss.

Rebecca's gaze flits to the side, and she stands, pulling me with her. "Let's go."

I almost question her sudden movement when I realize that Max is gone, and Heaven and Chev apparently decided we were taking too long to leave and have begun fucking. 

Great.

Not a sight I ever needed to see.

Hightailing it away from Heaven, Chev, and their sounds, I shift so that Rebecca won't have to walk back to the school, carrying her on my back, and we make it there in record time.

I stop running when we come just in sight of the campus, and she hands me my clothes which she thankfully held so I wouldn't rip them into shreds. 

No need to give the humans any more questions that could pertain to why half of the student body and all of the teachers disappeared from school today.

Guess who updated on time!

I always feel like I'm writing a movie script instead of a book, mostly because I don't include the weird dippy shit like 'oh the sunlight danced along her skin yadda yadda.'

I'm sorry, I know some people need imagery, I just don't notice stuff like that.

I guess I'm more objective.

Next update on Thursday, remember to stay safe.♥

😊✌🏽