Epilogue

Narrator

It had been ten years Candace had seen the Baudelaires. It's also been ten years since Candace was called 'Candie' at all. Ten years ago when the Hotel Denouement burned down, Candace did end up getting a good amount of people out of that hotel. The fire department came and she stayed at the Hotel until they were done. The firefighters thought it was strange for a thirteen year old girl to be waiting outside of a burnt down hotel until they were done, but they quickly brushed it off after they left.

When no one was around anymore she walked inside the pile of ashes that was once the Hotel Denouement. She walked across the pile of ashes knowing what she wanted to find. She moved what used to be the elevator and crawled down the ashy shaft. She made her way to the sub-basement where she had meant Dewey Denouement for the first time. The sub-basement was still in perfect condition besides the ash that had come as she came in.

She walked to the desk in the office and sat down in the chair. She immediately reached for the blue and white sugar bowl in front of her. Her curiosity getting the better of her she opened the sugar bowl. Sugar? She thought , holding the sugar bowl in her hands. We did all of this for a sugar bowl that contained... sugar? She thought as she looked around in the drawers, trying to find answers.

She opened the bottom drawer and say The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations, she remembered the book clearly and remembered her last encounter with it. Remembering when she was sitting on the floor in the library of Prufrock Preparatory School. And she remembered seeing the page with the sugar bowl on it. 

The sugar bowl contains sugar that is from a botanical hybrid of the Medusoid Mycelium.

Now, being less naïve than she was and knowing the dangers the Medusoid Mycelium and how much this sugar could protect people from the deadly fungus. She ate a sugar cube, just to be safe. She kept the sugar bowl and it's contents along with The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations.

Although she saved many people that day in the fire, there are many people she did not save. Such as her younger sister, Carmelita Spats and Esmé Squalor. She had tried to save many people that day and many she did save.

Candace Spats continued a normal life, she graduated from Prufrock Preparatory School. She never got a official guardian like the Baudelaires and her had hoped, but she was content. She attended University of Virginia when she was eighteen and majored in communications with a business minor. She also had gotten her inheritance allowing her to enroll and attend college. She hadn't done what the Quagmires or the Baudelaires expected her to do which was go into some sort of art field but she was okay with that.

She worked at Prufrock Preparatory School as a librarian part time while in college. She saw people that reminded her of herself, Duncan, Isadora, Violet, Klaus and even the type of person she thought Sunny would be. She got along with most of the staff and she actually got the library to be open all school day which she was pleased about.  She worked at Prufrock he last tree years of college and eventually quit to find a 'real' job.

When she was twenty-two she became Vice President of Orphan Affairs after Mr. Poe passed away in a harpoon accident. She worked there and made good money and ended up renting an apartment in the city about a block away from where Esmé Squalor used to live.

She wasn't interested in anyone romantically during college but strangely enough, she rarely thought about the Baudelaires at all. Specifically Klaus. She always had him in the back of her mind subconsciously but the memories of them slowly faded away. As the days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months and the months turned into years, she never even thought about the Baudelaires. Although she didn't think about Klaus often, she still loved him. Even after ten years of not seeing or hearing from them.