Chapter 3

Candie

"I'm Isadora Quagmire, and this is my brother Duncan, and his girlfriend Candie." "I'm Violet Baudelaire and this is my brother Klaus and my sister Sunny." Violet said. "Nice to meet you." Duncan said smiling at Violet. She smiled back. "We should warn you about the apples they, taste like horseradish." Isadora warns. "Everything seems distasteful in this place." Klaus comments. "I hope you're surviving the Orphan Shack, It's pretty awful." Isadore says. I tense up again. But I shake it off before anyone could see.

"We were living there until yesterday." Duncan comments. "You're orphan's too?" Klaus questions. "We lost out parents in a terrible fire. And our brother, Quigley." Isadora explained. "We were triplets." Duncan explains further. I put my hand on Duncan's comfortingly. He smiled at me then looked back to Klaus and Violet. "We're very sorry to hear that." Violet comforts "We lost our parents in a fire as well." Klaus connects, "It's not fair. One minute you're safe and happy and home, and the next-" He looks to me, I smile at him. "You're in a shack full of crabs?" Isadora finishes. "What about you Candie?" Isadora asks me.

"Oh, um, sorry, I don't have anything to add," I pause and look down,"both my parents are alive" "Don't feel sorry about that." Klaus says reassuringly. "At least we can do something about the crabs... how did you deal with them?" Violet asked Duncan and Isadora. "We taped metal to our shoes to be extra noisy." Isadora explains. "It scared the crabs, but it was exhausting to tap dance all the time." Duncan jokes. "Nobody likes tap dancing." Violet adds. As almost on cue, a certain tap dancer of the school stands right next to our table. "Cake-sniffing orphans in the orphan shack. Cake-sniffing orphans in the orphan shack." Carmelita sings. "Carmelita, please." I plead trying to shoo her away.

"She's been even worse since Vice Principal Nero got her those tap shoes." Isadora complains. "I can detest to that." I add. "I bet I can invent something less exhausting than tap shoes, but I'll need materials. Can everybody empty their pockets?" Violet asks already digging in her pockets. We empty our pockets and I am reminded of my books. "Oh, Klaus I-" I start. Isadora and Klaus have what looks to be two parts of a spy glass. They click it together. "Where did you get that?" Isadora and Klaus say in sync. "From the ruins of our parent's house." Violet said still in shock. "I think we need to talk." Klaus says.

Promptly we all stand up, I slip the books back in my basket and sigh. "Hey, what did you want to say a second ago?" Klaus asks me as I stood up. "Oh, it's nothing I- yeah. It was nothing." He looked at my basket and I slid the basket behind my legs so it wasn't visible anymore.

Klaus

  "Hey, you okay?" Duncan asked Candie, putting a hand on the small of her back. "What? Oh, Yeah." All of a sudden I tensed up and got really mad for no reason.

No reason at all.

"I'm Isadora Quagmire and this is my brother Duncan and his girlfriend, Candie." She has a boyfriend? I thought. "I'm Violet Baudelaire and this is my brother Klaus and my sister Sunny." Violet introduced. "It's nice to meet you." Duncan said smiling at Violet. She smiled back. "We should warn you about the apples they taste like horseradish." Isadora warns. "Everything seems distasteful in this place." I comment.

"I hope you're surviving the orphan shack. It's pretty awful." Isadora said. "We were living there until yesterday." Duncan shared. "You're orphans too? I asked. We lost our parents in a terrible fire. And our brother, Quigley." Isadora said sadly. "We were triplets." Duncan says.

Candie has a boyfriend right? It won't hurt her if I pursue someone else right? I thought. I touched Isadora's hand comfortingly. I saw Candie tense up. Is she jealous? but why? She has a boyfriend. I shook that thought off quickly. "We're sorry to hear that." Violet comforts. "We lost our parents in a fire as well." I connect. It's not fair. One minute you're safe and happy and home and the next-" "You're In a shack full of crabs." Isadora says trying to look on the bright side, "What about you Candie?"

"Oh, um, sorry, I don't have anything to add." She says not trying to make us feel bad. "both of my parents are alive." She said quietly. "Don't feel sorry about that." I say, shooting her a smile. "At least we can do something about the crabs." Violet comments, "How did you deal with them?"

"We taped metal to our shoes to be extra noisy." Isadora explains. "It scared the crabs, but it was exhausting to tap dance all the time." Duncan added. "No one likes tap dancing." Violet sneered. And as if on cue, Carmelita tap danced right up to our table. "Cake-sniffing orphans in the orphan shack. Cake-sniffing orphans in the orphan shack." Carmelita sung, dancing. "Carmelita, please." Candie pleaded.

"She's been even worse since Vice Principal Nero got her those tap shoes." Isadora complains. "I can invent something less exhausting than tap shoes but I'll need materials. Can everybody empty their pockets?" Violet asked. "Oh, Klaus I-" I heard Candie start as I pulled out my half of a spyglass. I looked up and saw Isadora had the other half. Me and Isadora looked at each other and clicked the spy glasses together. "Where did you get that?" we asked each other. "In the ruins of our parents home." Violet answered. "I think we need to talk." I say to the group.

We all got up and picked up our stuff and stood up. "Hey, what did you want to say a second ago?" I asked her as she was getting up. "Oh, it's nothing I- yeah. It was nothing." she responded. I looked down at her basket. She had two books, I couldn't quite make out what the two books are before she moved her basket away from me. "Okay... then," I said as we caught up to the rest of the group. We walked in silence until Candie broke the ice. "Hey guys, um, actually I'm going to go, I-I'll catch up with you guys later." "Oh, okay." I said looking to the rest of my friends. And just like that, she was running down the hallway in the opposite direction.