Chapter 21

Klaus

"If that's how you feel, then I think we need to break up." I spat out. "If that's how you feel." She responds. I wasn't making a huge mistake, right? I mean I really like Fiona but, not like that... well, maybe...? It's like she could sense that I liked her. I don't know how that would even work. Of course this just adds insult to injury, just saying a couple hours ago that she was a brat and unlovable. Of course I didn't mean it. Just like how I didn't mean to break up with Candi- Candance just now. It just came out. But know it's done. I'm the villain.

Sure Fiona's nice and pretty, but- Candace means so much more to me than that. Candace is sweet, giving, protective, gifted, beautiful, kind, loving, loveable, and- oh my God I just broke up with Candace. It just set in. I just gave up the most amazing girl in the world, just because I didn't respect or trust from her.  What have I done.

"I'm going to bed. Tell Phil I'm not eating." Candace said finally.

»»————-  ————-««

"We'll be at Anwhistle Aquatics within the hour." Fiona said turning off the lights. "Maybe you should tell us what we're getting into." Violet suggested with a condescending tone. "Violet, stop." I stand up. "There's something she's not telling us. That's why she hesitated. What's down there?" Fiona turned. She sighed, "The Medusoid Mycelium." She says. Mycelium is a word for mushrooms. And Medusa is a monster from Greek mythology. Her hair is made of snakes... Candace told me that." I whisper the last part. "I bet she was really nice when you got to know her." Phil shouted.

"The Medusoid Mycelium is a rare mushroom that only grows in the grotto." Fiona explained. " One of my books has a poem about it. 'A single spore has such grim power that you may die within the hour.'" Fiona says. "So it's poisonous?" I ask. "And deadly." Fiona adds. "The Mushroom waxes and waned. It appears and disappears in cycles. When it wanes, you might not even know it's there, but when it waxes..." Fiona trailed off. "The grotto isolates the fungus so it cannot spread. If that's where the sugar bowl is... If that's where we're headed... this mission could be doomed."

»»————-  ————-««

Candie

What the hell were they doing? I heard crashes and things breaking. I opened up the door and saw my sister tripping Phil, Count Olaf holding onto Klaus and the man with hooks for hands holding Sunny.

"You see, Baudelaires, I have a family too, only mine is better than yours." Count Olaf cackled. Without thinking and with reckless abandoned, I slid down the pole. "Not without me it's not." "Who is this? Someone take her." "Ah, ah, ah. I have been on this ship for 16 hours. I've also been with the Baudelaires for 5 months. I know them, not like anyone else knows them. And besides, You take one Spat, you take 'em both." Count Olaf smiled.

"Look at that, orphans. Even your friend's abandoning you." I smirk. "Candie, don't do this!" Violet pleaded. "And why not?" I say. "Darling..." Esmé called. "Not now, my pet." Count Olaf said, "But darling, the sugar bowl-" "Yes, I know you want the sugar bowl! I'm going to find it for you. I promise" Count Olaf yelled. "But Darling! They already have." Esmé yelled right back.

"Oh the sugar bowl, oh that old thing, I'll take you to it later." I told Esmé. "I like you." Esmé smiled at me. "Enough to get me out of these V.F.D. submarine uniforms?" I ask. "Just what I was thinking!" Esmé squealed. "Come now." Esmé said leading me to Count Olaf's submarine.

"Here put this on." Esmé hands me clothes. It was a bronze metallic zip-up bodysuit and a long Carmen Sandiago cardigan. (outfit on top)

"Oh my God, thank you Esmé." I say looking at myself in the mirror. "Bodysuits are the most 'in' thing." Esmé informs me as she stands behind me grabbing my shoulders. "I'm living for this bronze moment," I tell her. This might sound weird, but, even though Count Olaf and Esmé are on the opposite side of the schism, I feel more appreciated and loved with them versus Klaus, Violet, and Sunny. No, Candie, don't think that way, they killed the Baudelaire's parents. Don't be silly, of course you were loved with the Baudelaires. I mean... they never said it to me but... I know it... right?

"Family Meeting!" Count Olaf yells from the other room. We walk in to the other room. "We are going to send the Baudelaires to retrieve the sugar bowl." Count Olaf announces to the 'family.' "Candie, we only need one Baudelaire to get their fortune. Who should it be?" He asks me. I bite my lip. "Violet is the oldest, if you need her fortune quick, she's your girl. Sunny can cook. Really well, she made chowder for the team for dinner." I inform the group. "And the boy?" Count Olaf asks. I debated on whether I should defend him or not, until my mouth decided for me. "As for Klaus, he... he broke my heart." I say. Esmé gasps. "How dare he!"

"Hey!" Carmelita yells. "Why does she get a new outfit?" She looks at my outfit. "I didn't have any in your size, dear." Esmé says petting Carmelita's head. "You can use Olaf's costumes!" Esmé suggests. Carmelita squeals and hugs Esmé's legs. "What? No." Count Olaf says before getting a stern look from Esmé. "I think I am going to check on the Baudelaires, they should be expecting me. I will see what I can learn from the Queequeg as well." I say walking out into the connection between the two submarines.  

"Hello?" I say entering the Queequeg. I hear whispering from the captain's quarters. I walk over to the captain's quarter, I hid next to the captain's quarter door so they couldn't see me without walking past me. Why am I hiding? I don't have to hide. What side am I on?

"She abandoned us. Not the other way around." I hear Klaus say. I rest my forehead on the metal wall. "I'm sorry. I don't know what side I'm on anymore." I whisper. "Come on Klaus, Candie wouldn't do that. She's probably faking it to save herself." Violet reasons with him. "Yeah, save herself. I don't know what you way but, she turned on us." I hear him say, getting angry. I hear Violet scoff. "Klaus, she was about to trade her life for ours and the snow scouts on Mount Fraught." I hear. "Yeah, I just about wish she did." Klaus snaps. Tears creep up to the front of my eyes. A tear slips down my face. I wipe the tear from my cheek. I back up slowly, still facing the captain's quarter before turning around and run to The Carmelita. Now I know exactly what side I'm on now.

»»————-  ————-««

Klaus

"Yeah, I just about wish she did." I spat to my sister. What am I saying? "What has gotten into you? You're saying things you don't mean." Violet asks me, a disapproving look etched upon her face. I turn to the door hearing running footsteps.

I run toward the door to see who it was. The person was climbing up the ladder to get to Count Olaf's submarine. I missed their face, but they were waring some sort of bronze outfit. It had to be Candace.