Chapter 19

Klaus

"Aye, we are. Welcome to the Queequeg, Baudelaires." A girl says from the level above us. "Shiver me timbers," She says sliding down the metal pole to get on our level. "That's an expression pirates use when they're surprised." the girl explains. "Are you a pirate?" I ask. "No, but I am surprised to find Klaus, Violet, and Sunny Baudelaires and Candace Spats in the middle of the ocean." She says looking at Candie. "How do you know who we are?"  Violet asks curiously.

"The Daily Punctilio says that you're dangerous murderers." She says to us. "Well you can't believe anything you hear in the newspaper." I object. "So you're not dangerous?" She says looking at me. "I... uh, We've had our... Well, m-m-maybe a little... dangerous." I stutter. I look to Candie, her always present smile, gone.

Violet must have noticed because she spoke up quite quickly. "We haven't gotten your name yet." Violet interjects. "Fiona Widdershins. I'm the captain of this sub." Fiona introduces. "-You?" Violet questions. "You think a girl can't man a submarine?" Fiona asks, a bit insulted. "No, of course she can. You're just so young." 

"I'm old enough." Fiona cuts off. "I haven't been captain for long. That's my stepfather, the original Captain Widdershins." She says looking at a portrait. "He's gone." We're orphans too-" I say before getting cut off. "My stepfather's not dead, he left one day to answer a distress call from a manatee and never came back." "Well we're so-" "He's out there. He'll find me. I know he will." She interrupts again. "Well, he looks very noble." Candie compliments. "Noble indeed, Candace." Fiona says.

"Candace?" I ask Candie. "Yeah, short for Credenza." She says blankly. "Credenza?" I ask again. She smiles. "Candie is short for Candace, which is short for Credenza. You didn't think someone with the surname Spats would have a... short name did you?" She says with a smile. "And angel is short for Candie?" I wink at her. She smiles. "Sure Bau-"

"Well anywho." Fiona interrupts. "Well, we're glad you found us. We got a message from V.F.D. saying there was a meeting at the Last Safe Place on Thursday." I explain. "Our friend Quigley might be there. Can you take us?" Violet asks. "I'm already on a mission." Fiona informs. "Then can you take us to shor-" "I can't just change course in the middle of a mission Sorry. It's been hard running the submarine on my own, but V.F.D. is counting on me." Fiona shares.

"Well, what if you weren't on your own?" I ask. Candie whispers something to herself. "What?" "Nothing." I sigh. "If you help us with your mission, you could take us to the Last Safe Place." I offer. "Klaus, there's no time. The meeting's on Thursday." "I whole-heartedly agree." Candie says walking over to stand next to Violet. "That's still a few days." "You'd volunteer?" Fiona asks. "It's what V.F.D.'s for." I say. "Klaus, we don't even know what this mission is-" "Only the most important mission in V.F.D history." Fiona cuts off Violet. "Which is?" Candie questions. "I'm searching for the sugar bowl. Just like you said up there Candie." Fiona explains. "Candace." Candie corrects. What is going on with her?

»»————-  ————-««

"We heard of a sugar bowl. Esmé Squalor was searching for it at the Heimlich Hospital." I explain "But one of our agents got to it first. She was taking it to V.F.D. headquarters in the Mortmain Mountains." Fiona shares. "We went there. They burnt down. "I know. And the sugar bowl fell into Stricken Stream, where it was carried out to sea. That is why the Queequeg is the only hope of finding it." Fiona explains

"What's so important about a sugar bowl?" Violet questions. "My question exactly." Candie adds. "Both sides of the schism are after it. Some say it's the reason for the schism itself" Fiona explains "That doesn't help, what's in it?" Candie asks. "That's top secret." Fiona says to Candie. "You're not going to tell us?" Violet asks. "It's on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know." Fiona explains. "I don't take orders until I know the facts." Violet argues. "How about we all just focus on finding it, then we'll all know what's inside the... sugar bowl."

"You sound like Cookie. He's always saying cheery stuff like that." Fiona says. "Cookie?" Violet asks. "My other crewman. He's in charge of meals, though his cooking's a little heavy on the chewing gum. Hey, Cookie! Get out here!" Fiona yells. Oh, Cookie sounds a lot like-

"Baudelaires!" Phil yells. "Phil!" Me and Violet shout, giving him a hug. "What are you doing here?" I ask. "Cookie's my second-in-command. Ain't that right, Cookie?" Fiona asks. "His name is Phil." Violet corrects. "I call him Cookie." Fiona argues. "I don't really care what people call me." Phil says with his cheery voice. "I'm glad you got out of that terrible lumber mill." Violet blesses. "I was sure I could find a better job then 'unpaid mill worker. And look at me now. I am a cook on an understaffed submarine!" Phil laughs, "Life keeps getting better and better!" I smile at him.

"Um, Baudelaires, care to introduce me?" Candie says with a smile. "Oh, yes, Phil, this is my girlfriend, Candie-" I start. "Girlfriend?" Fiona asks. "Yes. Girlfriend." I answer. "Candie, this is Phil. I met him at the lumber mill before I came to Prufrock." "Well, it's nice to know you Phil." She says smiling at Phil. "She smiles! Oh, I like her." Phil says, smiling. "Thank you, and if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your leg?" Candie asks, concerned.

"Oh right, I am so sorry for causing that accident Phil." I apologize. "No, no, no. That healed ages ago!" Phil reassures. "Then what happened to your leg?" I ask, concerned again. "It was eaten by a shark. Yeah. It was very painful. But on the bright side, Very few people get to see such a dangerous animal up close!" Phil explained. "I can see your still an optimist." Violet points out.

"What's for dinner, Cookie?" Fiona asked. "I don't like to say anything bad about anyone's cooking, even mine, so I won't. Tonight's casserole is extremely chewy." Phil laughs. "Chewy?" Fiona wonders. "It's just gum." Phil concludes. "Oh!" Candie says surprised. And laughs.

"Sous Chef?" Sunny babbled. "What my sister means is she recently took up an interest In cooking. She'd be happy to help you in the kitchen." Violet defines. "I'd appreciate that. I have no idea what I'm doing!" Phil laughs. Candie laughs softly too. "They've got uniforms in the barracks. Once you suit up, Sunny can join Cooking in the galley, while I show Klaus the library. I Could use a dedicated researcher." Fiona directs. "What can we do?" Violet asks. "Do you have any talents?" Fiona asks. "My sister is a mechanical genius. And Candie is quite gifted in the arts." I flatter. "I wouldn't say 'genius'" Violet laughs. "And I wouldn't say I'm gifted." Candie humbles. "Well, I'm pretty mechanically-minded myself, so the boat's in ship-shape. And a we won't be needing any arts and crafts." Fiona sneered. "I see." "Of course you don't" Violet and Candie say simultaneously. "My stepfather had a philosophy: He who hesitate are lost. So let's not hesitate Baudelaires and Spat." Fiona orders. "Aye-aye." Sunny and I say.

»»————-  ————-««

"'He who hesitates is lost' isn't a very useful philosophy. There are plenty of times where it's better to stop and think" Violet snickers. "Besides, it should be 'he or she hesitates'" Candie critiques. "I guess it's harder to fit on a plaque." I justify. "Maybe what's in the sugar bowl would be easier." Candie mumbles.

"We should hesitate now. We should try and find the Last Safe Place instead of floating around for a sugar bowl." Violet says. "Exactly." Candie adds. "I think we can trust Fiona." I admit. "oh, boy do I know." I hear Candie mumble in the corner. "Do you have a problem?" I say turning to her. "No, no." She trails off. "I want to trust Fiona, but there's something about her that rubs me the wrong way." "Really? 'Cause I think she's a lot like you. I know you're worried about Quigley, but I'm sure he's safe." I insure. "I know he is. Quigley's very resourceful."

Candie claps. "Great going Klaus, but maybe the next time, care about our friends, my sister and people in literal danger, more than some random girl we just met on a random submarine. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to try to find a way to use my 'not helpful' talent of 'arts and crafts'" She says walking out. "Hey, what has gotten into you? You've been acting weird on and off every since we got on the submarine." I ask her, grabbing her arm. She laughs at me. "When my sister joined Count Olaf, I could've so easily left with her. But I didn't I helped you save Sunny, and now, Sunny's safe. Now Carmelita's the one in danger. I'm trusting you to help Baudelaire. I'm trusting myself." Then she left.