Chapter 18

Klaus

"No!" Candie says rushing into the trap. I look up to see birds swooping down. "No!" I say jumping, pushing her out of the trap just in time. The eagles grab the rope and pull them into the trap. "NO!" me, Violet, Quigley and Candie scream. The children scream.

Candie sits hunched over in the snow. "Candie..." I say moving her hair out of her face. "I failed them." She says covering her mouth. She stands up, I follow suit. "Why did you push me?" She yells at me, hitting me every pause between words. "I could've saved them. I could've saved them." She says as I engulf her in a hug. "No, you couldn't have. I saw the speed that the eagles were flying at. You would've been in the trap with them." I say looking at her. She was beautiful, even when she is crying. "I would've been with them. I could've kept them safe." She says softly. "But you'd be putting yourself in danger." I say wiping a tear from her cheek. "Who is more important to you? You or those kids you don't know." She looks to me sadly and shakes her head. "I'm one person Klaus, nine lives for one. Nine lives are more important." She says looking off to the kids. I turn her back to me. "You may be one person, but you're the most important person to me." I say hugging her.

"The noble side of the schism may have the carrier pigeons and trained reptiles..." The woman says. "But the eagles work for us. And so will those children." The man says looking off at his achievement. "No." I say turning to them. "Please, let them go." Candie pleads.

"We were prepared to take you back, Olaf." The woman says to Count Olaf, ignoring Candie's plead. "Instead we're taking your car." The man says walking to the car. "How'd you steal my keys?" Count Olaf asked. "We'll stay in touch." The woman says following the man. "That's the first." Count Olaf sneers. "I was talking to Ms. Squalor." The woman says opening the car door. "We're impressed with your work. We'll contact you with your next assignment." The man says, also getting into the car. "My God! Really? Oh, you're so sweet! Safe travels!" Esmé gushes. The car starts and they drive away.

"We have to get out of here." Quigley exclaims as he looks to Violet. "You're not going anywhere. I only need to keep one of you alive to get your fortune." Count Olaf yells. I take Candie's hand and guide her over to Violet and Quigley. "Which one should it be?" Count Olaf continues. "Oh... take Klaus. Then you can smash his glasses, make him bump into things and watch my sister sob." Carmelita suggests.

"Carmelita keep my friends out of this." Candie defends. "What an adorable little girl, would you like to join us?" Esmé offers. "We should discuss that first." Count Olaf says. "No, no she wouldn't, right Carmelita?" Candie says offering her hand to Carmelita. "Ugh!" Carmelita whines as she turns to hug Esmé. "Carmelita. No!" Candie says walking toward her. I grab her arm to keep her back.

"Hey, cake-sniffers, now I have two sets of parents more that you! And one less sister." Carmelita insults. "Carmelita." I hear Candie barely say. "Any last words?" Count Olaf says. We back up. "Guys, we shouldn't back up anymore. There's a frozen waterfall right there." Candie warns "Just one. Rosebud." Sunny says pushing a sleigh toward us. Count Olaf moves out of the way. We all hop onto the sleigh and push. We fly high in the air as we scream. We hit the ice and start to actually sled. "AFTER THEM!" Count Olaf screams after us.

As we ride down the frozen river I feel a pair of arms wrap around my back. I smile, knowing it's Candie. "Thank you for saving me." She says. "Yeah, um, angel, sweet message, bad timing." I say, trying to steer the sled. "Got it." She says. I feel her smile against my back at her nickname.

"I'm glad to have you back, Sunny." Violet says. "Me too, but we're not safe yet." I say trying my best to steer. "Quigley, does your map tell us where this river leads to?" I ask. "streams run into larger bodies of water, like rivers, and rivers lead into-" We duck at the branch.

"Ah!" He yells, hitting the branch, getting left behind. "Quigley!" Violet yells behind her. "Violet!" He yells back. I try to press the break. It snaps. "Oh no." Candie say staring at it. There's not recovering after that. "Violet!" we hear Quigley yell in the distance. "Quigley!" Violet yells back to him. "I'll find you at the Last Safe Place!" We hear from Quigley last.

We slide into a frozen ocean and pull over. The ice begins to crack around us. "That can't be good." Candie says looking around. Then a look-out emerges from the ice. We look at it curiously. Then the ice cracks around us more and puts us on a platform. The look-out spins around and the V.F.D logo showed.

We stand up and try tugging on the door. "We need help!" Violet yells. "Open up!" I yell. "That's clearly not doing any-" "What's the password?" Candie says before being interrupted by the look-out. "I stand corrected." She laughs. "We don't know the password." I say to the look-out. "We need help." Violet explains. "We just fell off the mountain." I add. "They're not gonna let us in." Violet concludes. "They might if we say the right thing. This is a V.F.D submarine. What are phrases associated with V.F.D.?" I wonder. "Volunteer Fire Department!" Violet yells to the machine. "Vi, it's right there, you don't need to yell. Besides, I'm noise sensitive." Candie jokes. Violet laughs softly. "The World is Quiet Here?" I ask next. "The Sugar Bowl?" Candie asks next. "hmm.." Candie wonders. "Baudelaires." Sunny babbles. The trap door opens. We look down it. "Well, it's now or never," Candie says about to go in. "No, wait, it might be dangerous. I'll go." I volunteer. Candie smiles at me. Candie goes in next, then, Sunny, then Violet.

We climb down and look around. "Whoa." Candie says looking at everything. "This way." We hear a voice coming from another part of the submarine. We walk toward the voice. "Aye, come in." The voice  says as we walk through the door. We walk though to the steering wheel. This is Violet's heaven. "Look at all this equipment." Violet says grazing her hand over the steering mechanics. Candie helps Sunny into a chair. "Look at these tidal charts. I think the submarine is searching for something." I say grazing my hand over the charts.

"Aye, we are. Welcome to the Queequeg, Baudelaires."