Chapter 27

Klaus

"Kit, is that you?" A man said as if on cue. A man that looked like Frank or Ernest opened the door. "You're not Kit." The man said. "You're not Frank." Violet said. "You're not Ernest either." I comment. "Because the Denoument brothers aren't twins," "They're triplets."

"Kit told me you were clever. I am Dewey Denoument. I'm pleased to meet you." He said with a smile. "Why didn't Kit tell us about you-" "My existence is a secret. Which suits me fine because my work is secret too." He said as he walked toward the opposite side of the room. "You see, the Hotel Denoument isn't just organized like a library." He said as he pulled open a drawer, "It is a library."

A hidden door opened up revealing what looked to be a secret passageway. He ushered us through the door. We quickly walked through observing our surroundings. He closed the door behind him. "We collect reports from every V.F.D. agent, scholar, researcher, inventor, scientist, explorer, cartographer, poet, journalist , naturalist, herpetologist, optometrist, receptionist, chef, waiter, taxi driver, sea captain, film director, ballerina, children's book author, and mountaineer." He said, leading us down the passageway and to a ladder.

"Our volunteers are everywhere observing the world and writing it all down in books. These books are then passed through a number of safe places, from hospitals to carnivals, to the end up here... The Last Safe Place." He explained. Candie's eyes widened as she took all of the in. "I'm overwhelmed." She said. "You should be, that's the point, now follow me." Dewy said as we walked further into the tunnel. Leading us to the front of the hotel.

"Ever since to schism it's become even more important to keep our research cataloged and secure. So while Frank and Ernest run the hotel, I do my work in the shadows. Here we are." He said showing us the decorative fountain in front of the hotel. "Where's the library?" I ask Dewey. "You have to look below the surface. It's a sub-library, so it's submerged." He said. "It's under the pond." I conclude. "Our enemies could burn the hotel to the ground and our work would be safe. It's a secret library." He said looking down into the still-water fountain. "Then why are you telling us?" Violet asked. "Yeah, what I thought." Candie added.

"After Thursday, Kit and I are leaving V.F.D. to raise our child. The Last Safe Place will need a new sub-librarian or four of them." Dewy informed us. "You want to give us your library." I clarify.

"I've read all about you, Baudelaires, and I've just met you Ms. Spats but we have been well acquainted. Violet, you've invented amazing things under incredible pressure. Imagine what you could do with the time and resources that you'd have here. Klaus, your research skills are in par with V.F.D.'s greatest librarians. Why not use them in service of its greatest library? Candace, you a have a knack for emotional intelligence. V.F.D. is always looking for investigative reporters. And Sunny, I've heard wonderful things about your cooking. Never underestimate the way that a good meal can change the world."

We smile at him. "After Thursday, Count Olaf will be behind bars. You'll need a new home, why not here." He offered. Me and my siblings faces fell. "Justice Strauss wants us to live with her." Violet informs. "She promised to keep us safe." I add. "And I'm sure she would. But you're not children anymore. Is a safe life really enough." Dewey says. I see Candie bite her lip in thought. "Before we say anything, we want to know one secret." I say. He looks at me silently telling me to continue. "What's inside the sugar bowl?" I ask. "Ah." I starts.

"An interesting question." Count Olaf says, riffling through the hedges. "I searched the hotel for you orphans, which wasn't easy because it's very poorly organized, but you're in my clutched now." He says looking straight at us. "It's not poorly organized. It's arranged like a library catalog." I comment. "I think that might be confusing to him." Candie jokes. "Bad timing, okay." She says as her face dropped. "We're not in your clutches. We're standing at the edge of a pond." Violet adds. Count Olaf smirked. "That's what you think." He says evilly. "I'm afraid the man next to you is one of my associates. Hand them over Ernest."