Chapter 2

Klaus

"She was nice." Violet said, breaking the ice. "Who? Carmelita?" I asked confused. "No, Candie." Violet said handing Sunny to me. I smiled. She was really nice, seems to be the more down to earth sibling. And there was something about her smile... it made me want to smile back. Not that I didn't want to smile when Violet or anyone else smiled. We walked up to our tin shack that we were going to live in for God knows how long. Me and Violet stopped in front of the shack. "Small." She said. "Even for a shack" I said looking to her. I sighed. Better than nothing We opened the door slowly to see Candie there, except in overalls instead of her dress. "Oh, hello Baudelaires," she said, stepping down from the haystacks in the shack. "I was just cleaning it out a little bit." She said looking at her progress. "Could be worse." she said picking up a water bucket. "Thank you, Candie." Violet said smiling at her. "No problem, Baudelaires." She smiled, "See you around Baudelaires."

She walked out of her shack but stopped. "Oh, I forgot the finishing touch." She said turning back to us. She pulled out three cards from her bag and handed them to us. "Library Cards. I'm not sure how much use Sunny will get out of it but, you could always use it for checking out more books. That's what I do with Carmelita's" She said putting a finger to her lips and winked at us. "Shh"

~Time Skip to Next Day~

I rub my eyes as I walk out of Math. "How was your first day?" I ask Violet, who was also rubbing her eyes. "Nothing but listening to meaningless and pointless stories." She groaned. "That's language arts. I spent the morning writing down meaningless measurements." I complain. "That's math. How was work Sunny" "Tedious"

"Hi Baudelaires!" Candie said walking up to us, "Hi Candie." Violet said looking to her. "How was your day?" I ask. "Same old same old." She says as we walk by the library. "Oh, that reminds me, I'll be right back I have to get to the library." She says slowly walking away from us. "You like reading?" I ask. She turns back around to me. "Yeah, one of my hobbies." She says walking closer to the library. "Well, I'll see you guys." "Bye." I reply. She likes reading. Nice, funny and likes to read, I really like her. I think. As a friend I mean. A FRIEND

Candie

I say my farewells to the Baudelaires and walk inside the library. "Hello, Ms. Caliban." I say brushing my fingertips across the books. "Hi, Candie." She replies, "Looking for a book?" "As always." I smile at her.

I at all the books, most of which I've already read, but I still haven't read a good portion of them. I continued to browse to shelves until I found a book in the history section. I picked out Diary of Anne Frank I also picked out the first Harry Potter book. This will do I thought stepping up to the counter. "There you go Candie." Ms. Caliban says giving me my books. "How did you like Romeo and Juliet?" She asked me. "I really liked it." I said smiling. I put my two books in my bag and went to the cafeteria.

I walk into the cafeteria and see my sister. Hard to miss her. "Oh, Baudelaires, there's seats at my table." I walk over to her. "But, I'm afraid it's a cake-sniffer-free zone." "Carmelita. Stop." I try to reason with her. "Cake-sniffing orphans in the Orphan Shack! Cake-sniffing-" I cover my sister mouth quickly but it was too late. The rest of the school was already chanting.

"Leave them alone, Carmelita. You're the cake-sniffer, and nobody in their right mind would eat with you anyway." Duncan says. I uncover my sister's mouth and walk over to him. "Come sit with us." Isadora invites. I sit down between Isadora and Duncan.

"You have to forgive Carmelita, she's so awful, Mrs. Bass is considering a life of crime." Duncan starts,"My sister wrote a poem about her," He says looking to Isadora. "I would rather eat a bowl of vampire bats than spend an hour with Carmelita Spats." Isadora said, "Sorry Candie." I shrugged my shoulder. "None taken." I reply. "That's a couplet. Ogden Nash uses them." Klaus explains. "I know. I've read all his work." Isadora replied. Then out of nowhere my breath got heavier, I clenched my jaw, and I started cracking my knuckles. "Hey, you okay?" Duncan asked sweetly, putting a hand on the small of my back. "What? Oh, Yeah." I shook off the feeling. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Klaus tense up. Is he... jealous? Of what?