Chapter 29

Candie

Mr. Poe guided me to the elevator to the seventh floor and led me to Room 704. "Here you are. I expect you in the court room in ten minutes." He said handing me a blindfold. "Actually, it's not a court room it's a hotel lob-" "Ah-ah-ah. I expect to see you in ten minutes." He says, interrupting me. "Okay." I whisper turning around, shutting the door behind me.

I walk over to the wardrobe to see a soft pink fit-and-flare dress was hanging in the wardrobe with a note next to it.

Sorry I wasn't there last night, here's something for you to wear for the trial. K.S.

I place the note and blindfold on a nearby table and got dressed. I look at myself in the mirror and smile, thinking bitter-sweet thoughts. This might be the last time I see the Baudelaires. I don't have a single idea where I'll be going once Mr. Poe finds me a new guardian, and I don't know where Justice Strauss lives.

I shake off those thoughts quickly and grab the blindfold off the table. I walk out of my hotel room and take a quick visual of where I was. I put the blindfold on and try to get a feel of where I was. I tripped about three times until I finally make it to the elevator.

»»————-  ————-««

I sat down in my seat. Listening around. "How are we supposed to find our seats if we can't see them?" I hear Klaus ask "Oh, um, to your left." Justice Strauss instructed. Mr. Poe yelped. "Oh, um, sorry, my left." Justice Strauss advised.

I heard people shuffling around where I was sitting until someone fell, hitting my knees. Mr. Poe groaned as he tried to get up. "Is everyone seated?" Justice Strauss asked. "That's Klaus and that's Candie." Mr. Poe says as I feel is hand on my face. I make a face and turn my head. "You may remove your blindfolds." Justice Strass announced. I took off my blindfolds to see Klaus on my left and Sunny on my right. "But we just put them on." Klaus said. "oh, don't be silly Klaus. Justice may be blind, but the High court ruled the evidence must be seen to be believed." Mr. Poe said. "I-uh, w-what?" I ask Mr. Poe. "You will put the blindfolds back on for the verdict." Justice Strauss explained. "That doesn't make any sense." Klaus objected. "Baudelaires, I see you found the clothes I left for you." Justice Strauss whispered to them. "They fit perfectly, that you." Violet thanked.

"All rise for the High Court judges." Justice Strauss instructed. We all stood up and Klaus turned to me. "You- uh, you look really nice." Klaus complimented. "Thanks, you look pretty snazzy yourself." I laugh. We smiled at each other. "Myself and my esteemed colleagues." Justice Straus said looking upwards. We turned around and looked at the High Court. "Why are they so high up?" Violet asked. "The High court ruled to interpret their name literally." Justice Strauss explained, "you may sit."

"Bring in Count Olaf!" She said looking to the broom closet, where Frank or Ernest opened the door to reveal Count Olaf.  "Please, hold the applause." He said, full of himself. The court started to clap. "No! Don't clap for him. This is a courtroom, not a theater!" Justice Strauss said. "Actually it's a hotel lobby." I correct. "Yeah, I thought this was a hotel." Count Olaf said, agreeing with me. "It's a hotel acting in the role of a courtroom." She justified. "I don't think that's how it works." I murmur.

"Thanks to the efforts of many concerned parties and a banker, I have compiled a comprehensive file on the Baudelaire case." She said picking up a very large book, "I submit to the Court... The Complete History of Injustice or Odious Lusting After Fortunes. "Olaf." Sunny observed. "I titled it myself." Mr. Poe said. "Sadly, I must also submit this harpoon gun, which was used to kill a hotel manager late last night," I look down sadly. "but we'll discuss that later. The judges will now hear this case while the authorities wait outside to apprehend any guilty party who tries to escape."