✿ Chapter Thirty Four - Painful

Start from the beginning

My heart clenched at the memory. I could still see Zane shooting her and her little body falling in the flames. I could still remember the tears in her eyes, the fear, the anger, the fire of youth burning in her. For a kid, she was damn smart, but she couldn't save herself. In only a matter of seconds I had Vaughn pulling me out of there. The rest of that night passed by in a blur because of the numbness.

"Cole," Nathan whispered, pressing his palm on my shoulder. My eyes flickered open, my gaze darting to Mom first. She was alright. A wave of soothing relief washed over me. Who would have thought?

My gaze traveled to Nathan. His brows highly rose, knitted, not pity, not sadness, not nothing. Curiosity, some kind of comfort and support. I didn't even feel the tears until the salty wetness made me grimace. After a whole day and night of not eating shit and not closing an eye, the taste of a tear felt like utter shit. I think it would've tasted worse if I stayed longer up.

"You need a moment?" He asked, rather softly than urging. Urging so I could relax the tension in my body and not punch a hole on the wall. Or at least try to.

I sighed, wanting to refuse, but I couldn't. I nodded. I could use that moment to get some food.

"I'll go get something to eat, want some?"

He shook his head. Lying bastard. He was just as starved as I was and he knew it.

"I'll bring some. See what I can find through the kitchen." I mumbled, as silent as possible not to disturb Mom.

He nodded. "Have a smoke." He said, "You could use one."

"I think I've already lost my head, my man." And with that low murmur, I turned at the door, opening it slowly.

A low creak floated in the air and as soon as I was out, my ears were silenced. There was not a buzz in the wide, royal hallway with marble floor and expensive paintings decorating the walls. There were little tables in the distance between the bedrooms doors against the walls, tables with plants that gave a little life to the deserted place. It was hard for me to imagine living here. All alone. A maid of some sort and other employees walking around felt even creepier.

With slow, heavy steps, I made my way down the wide corridor. I entered the elevator. Pressed the button to the first floor and waited. The doors closed. Ambiance music echoed in the golden space. Relaxing. But not for me. For me, silence was relaxing. Or some hardcore shouts and begs of an enemy were relaxing. Not this. This was plain annoying.

I groaned, dipping my head back. If felt like hours before the elevator stopped and the doors opened. I stepped out on the first floor. The first place I went was to the balcony, so I could have a smoke. My fingers were shaking from a reason of a sort. From the pocket in my jacket, I pulled out my cigs and a lighter. I lit it up. Staring back into the perfectly arranged garden with all kinds of flowers, I relaxed.

Silence, I thought, finally.

But it didn't last.

"I don't understand why everybody likes her so much. Can't anybody see how she's using him?" A feminine, hoarse voice asked.

I didn't care or want to hear what she was talking about, but my eyes drifted to the source. A woman with brown hair, facing the open window with her back. She was leaning something on the floor and then picking something else up. My gaze lowered to her outfit. Black dress, white apron. She was a maid.