Just for one night.

I chase after her and she takes my hand in hers, pulling me through the bouncing fountains of water. Slowly but surely, from my knees to my ankles, my jeans become soaking wet and I start to freeze on my legs. I'm not sure how she's tolerating it when all she has on is boots, leggings, and a red dress under her peacoat.

She doesn't care.

That's the thing.

The fountains shoot up to our shoulders, sprinkling water on our faces when we pull to a stop. Ella lets out a heavy sigh, and pants in exhaustion but can't stop smiling. She laughs out loud, whole heartedly, laughs so anyone within one hundred feet could hear.

And I'm lucky enough to be up close and personal.

"I feel so alive, it's insane." She smiles up at me, and wipes away a spatter of water off my cheek.

"I'm glad." That's all I can say as I stare down at her, glancing around the famous square, at all the colors lightning up the fountains.

Before I can think straight, she turns to me and kisses me with her hands cupping my face tightly. She continues to pull me down as close as she can, and eventually wraps her arms around my neck as she lets the kiss continue. I wrap my arms tightly around her waist and hoist her up off the floor, keeping my lips pressed against hers. Oddly enough, they're warm instead of cold or chapped as they should be. They're warm, and soft, igniting a warm feeling inside me as well, also the need to never break away.

But she's the first to detach, pressing her forehead against mine as I hold her up against me still.

"I am in love with you Zayn. I really am."

My body goes rigid at her confession, and I lightly place her back on her feet.

"What?"

"You heard me. I'm in love with you. Complet-"

"I didn't want you to tell me that!" I step away, probably looking insane but I don't care.

I didn't want her to tell me, because I didn't want to confirm what was already obvious. If I never knew, it'd be just a bit easier to say goodbye. I could tell myself she never felt the same, convince myself that she never really loved me. And move on with life after her.

But now that she's said it, I'm fucked.

"I don't understand." She whispers, frowning at me.

"Nor will you ever. You shouldn't have told me that." I huff in annoyance, and shove my hands in my pockets.

"Okay, I'm lost. Am I not allowed to tell my boyfriend I'm in love with him? The same guy that said he's open to the idea of marriage because I'm an exception?" She folds her arms across her chest, and steps out of the fountain, to be on dry land.

"Not when he told you he didn't want to know! Jesus, couldn't you do me that one thing?!" I unintentionally shout at her, and she flinches away from me subtly. She probably thinks I didn't notice, but I sure as hell did see the fear in her eyes.

"I'm sorry I was in the moment here, not thinking completely straight. What the fuck is wrong with you Zayn? Why are you lashing out at me?"

I'm thankful that no one is around for this argument, and it's just her and I in the middle of this square. Because the way she asked what the fuck is wrong with me, in such a judgmental tone, is pissing me off now. At first, I was just confused and frustrated. But now, I'm on a whole other level of mad.

"Because you can't listen to me! You never did, you never will! This is a solid example of that actually." I snort at her, and she backs away even further, creating a good ten feet between us. "Can't you just, for once, listen to me Ella?"