Ch. 9

Sorry about any spelling errors, I apparently really suck at proofreading. =( I'll keep trying to spell check over things as I go! Thanks for your time, any comments on how you think it's going would be greatly appreciated.  <3

Em was thrown backwards and landed heavily. Golden Sunshine standing protectively over her prepared for the attack.

"Stop!" Veriana yelled suddenly appearing and grabbing hold of the creature.

"What is going on now?" Maelgywn demanded as he knelt beside Em and warily eyes the golden horse that stood beside them.

Veriana was ignoring them, she was speaking and soothingly into her arms, under the edges of her shawl Em could just make out a pair of boots.

"Lady Veriana an answer, please. My charge has been through enough." Maelgywn sounded tired and slightly angry as he helped Em to stand. Lillabeth came over and gently dusted the girl down and checked her over in the dim light. Golden Sunshine had moved to the side slowly backing away from the small gathering as she kept a firm eye on Em.

Veriana looked up and smiled tightly at the weary group, she gently pulled her arms back to reveal a small boy, only around 7 or eight years old.

Lillabeth gasped shock making her pull Em closer towards herself "oh Veriana" the sadness in her voice carried far.

"I see" Maelgywn held out a hand as though to shake the little boy's hand, the little boy hissed and grabbed something out of his pocket, he held it up menacingly. Veriana grabbed his wrist.

"No Ventcint, they are friends, we do not harm friends." She spoke firmly with her chin raised she addressed Maelgywn and Lillabeth. "This is my son, this is the only heir to our throne that has survived and by the Gods will, he shall continue to do so."

"You were pregnant with the Emperor's child? That is why you left?" Lillabeth seemed still in shock.

"I left to protect a child made by force, the Gods have asked me to protect the next ruler of this country and so I shall!" Verianas voice shook with conviction as she tightened her hold on the young boy in her arms.

"It seems we have much to discuss" Maelgywn looked down at Em, "you should go and rest, once the others get here we will be leaving and I know how tired you are."

Em just nodded, she was sore and still exhausted, this latest information affected her in no way, and she was beginning not to care about it anymore.

"I have prepared a place for you in the stables child, a bed is made up," Veriana said as she pointed to a shed behind her small cottage home.

"I'm so glad you are alright!" Em woke up as Telen grabbed her and hugged her so tightly she doubted she could move. "I was so worried, and then Maelgywn and Lillabeth left too and I couldn't keep up with them. Then we got a note by a bird, then followed a stag, a literal stag to this cottage in the woods." Telen was speaking so fast Em almost doubted she could keep up with him.

She wrinkled her nose up in distaste "you smell horrible" she said to him as she sat up properly, he remained kneeling by her side "When was the last time you bathed?"

The look on his face was priceless "I haven't seen you in nearly four days because you got kidnapped and you complain about how bad I smell?!" His sapphire eyes were flashing with annoyance.

"I've been so worried, we all have." Telen stood up, he actually looked offended, and he shoved what appeared to be her belongings at her and stiffly walked away.

"Telen! I'm..." Em called out realising that she actually had hurt his feelings "sorry" looking through the things that he had given her she found some of the comfortable clothes which Lillabeth had gotten made for her.