𝗍𝖾𝗇 - 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

I recommend re-reading the previous chapters of this book!
It has been a while since I last updated, so re-reading will help you better understand where our protags last left off.
(I have also made small edits and revisions to them)
(Comments very much encouraged!)

"YOU ABSOLUTE IMBECILE!" Yumi screamed as she threw everything on her desk to the floor. Her teeth were gritted, her hair was sprung out of place, and her eyes were burning with anger. The merfolk that she had managed to capture were now gone, with both their tanks empty and shattered on the floor. She was fuming.

     Celeste attempted to subside Yumi's anger by taking her hands, but Yumi threw the lamp on her desk that had tipped over at her.
     "I swear... I swear to all things dreadful I am going to KILL YOU," Yumi screamed at the redhead in the corner of the room. Luck was on Alec's side that day since Yumi didn't have any weapons or sharp utensils on her. "You had ONE JOB. ONE SIMPLE JOB. SO TELL ME ALEC," She jumped out of her chair, "HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO LOSE TWO WHOLE MERMAIDS!" Yumi pushed aside her desk and lunged at Alec. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a pen that she attempted to stab him with. Alec managed to grab Yumi's arms before the tip of her pen could dig through his skin. He could tell she wasn't coming at him with her full potential. Her technique was sloppy and impulsive because of her anger. He managed to push her off of him and Celeste grabbed her and held her back.

"Leave. Now!" Celeste shouted, out of breath. She was trying her best to keep Yumi at bay, but her thrashing was proving difficult to control. Urging Alec to get out before Yumi landed a successful hit, Celeste motioned her head to the door behind them. The redhead stumbled back towards the exit and ran out. He had been chewed out by Yumi countless times before. He seemed to be her punching bag most of the time. So, he thought that this time he should take the opportunity to cut his ties. He doubted that Yumi would give him his portion of the pay because of his accident. She probably wouldn't pay him ever again for this. It wasn't that easy, though.

     As much as Alec hated to admit it, he needed her. Cash was tight and she was his only source of income. He had been working for Yumi for so long, his reputation had plummeted and employers didn't want a thieving pirate on their staff.

     He cursed at himself for his actions the other day. Last night he had gotten lazy and decided to leave the two mermen after they had both fallen asleep. How stupid of me, he thought.

Alec did wonder how they escaped, though. The window is the obvious choice, but the one in the room was locked, so they couldn't have jumped out and then locked it from the inside. So then there must have been someone who broke in, but who? No one else besides Cassidy, her daughter, and the rest of the Squad knew that those merfolk had been captured, let alone exist. So who could have possibly broken in? Could one of them have betrayed? Alec's mind wondered to Gold, since she did lash out and defend the merfolk. She was the biggest suspect.

     Alec shook his head. He could think about all of this another time. Right now he had to head home to his sister and prepare a makeshift dinner, since she had been rendered helpless due to her unfortunate cold. As he walked, he contemplated telling her about the mermaids. Alec knew that Aly had always had an eye for fantasy and would love to hear about how the merfolk myth was true. He didn't know if he should, though. The mermaids were top secret info and even when they were shared among just 6 people, they were stolen. He decided not to tell her. Instead, he would divulge into one of the many other make-believe stories she enjoys to entertain her. She had been home alone all day, so she would probably appreciate the company. For the first time in a while, the thought made Alec smile.