𝗍𝗁𝗋𝖾𝖾 - 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵

The sun was setting on the horizon, its rays making the surface of the water look orange and yellow. Underneath the water, the waves were stained a beautiful lavender color. Its ethereal glow seemed to be unfitting at the events happing down below. Kyran and Evan had agreed to leave that night with as little to no supplies as possible.

Kyran had his bag tied around his tail, tighter than before. Inside it, he had a small silver compass, a few sand dollars he had managed to scavenge up, and the blue gem hidden in a pocket on the side. He had been preparing for this moment his whole life. Waiting for a chance to go beyond and see so many new things. He used to dream of what new things he would find. In one of his dreams, he had traveled out and found a whole other kingdom. They took him in and showed him the differences in their culture. Sadly, the dream ended abruptly when Lucas had practically thrown Kyran out of his bed.

Evan had a small pouch tied around his back, the hilt of a small dagger shoved into a smaller scabbard on the lower side of it. He hadn't packed anything but that, cause he wasn't planning on staying out longer than 10 minutes.

"C'mon! Let's go!" Kyran was already swimming way ahead of Evan, determined to get to the barrier as quickly as possible. He didn't want to waste any time. Evan followed slowly behind him, his scales changing quickly from green to a pretty teal color. He was getting more confident. At least that's what Kyran remembered teal meant.

     Eventually, the pair got to the border. Evan had taken a seat in the sand, watching Kyran's movements as he swam closer to the invisible wall. He held a hand out, trying to find it. Eventually, Kyran felt a strange amount of force. Like the north side of one magnet trying to tough the north side of another. It pushed him away from it.

     "Another reason why this is a bad idea!" Evan yelled from behind him. Kyran looked back and gave him a pout before pushing his hand through the strange force. From where Kyran stood, his hand looked as if it had been dismembered from his body. He put the other hand through, just the same as the one before. He could feel the water on the other side. It felt a lot colder and dirtier. He pulled himself through headfirst. Evan watched as Kyran's tail soon disappeared through the barrier. His skin rippled itself with goosebumps at the sight of Kyran disappearing. His scales turned the same acid green color as before. He had no idea what was happening on the other side. Kyran still hadn't appeared like the scrolls said. He grew terribly worried.

Soon enough, Kyran's body appeared on the other side of the invisible wall. He was twirling around taking in the scenery around him. Evan felt calmed by this and repeated the same thing Kyran did.

Kyran saw the green scales of his friend appear where the kingdom should have been.

"See? It wasn't that bad." Kyran motioned towards Evan. He was looking around the area
in disdain.

"It's so different than what I imagined.." Evan's voice trailed off as he swam closer to a patch of kelp and coral next to a rather big rock. "I thought everything would've been dead, or at least dying. That's what the books and scrolls described it as.." His voice trailed off once again as he kept inspecting the area. "..but it's all so similar to the plants inside the kingdom. Of course, it's a little darker. And dirtier. Nonetheless, it isn't that different from what we're used to," Kyran had swum closer to the green merman, who was sitting on the sand below. Evan picked his head up to look at Kyran, his scales changing to a green darker than his regular color. "Did they... lie to us?" The look in his eyes glowed with betrayal and heartbreak. "What if they're lying about so much more? What if they're lying about everything out here? What if everything we've ever been told is a lie?! What if—" Kyran cut him off by slapping his hands over his mouth.