𝗍𝗐𝗈 - 𝘢𝘥𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘴

The pair arrived in the middle of town, the shops and stalls busting with people. Almost immediately, Kyran was smashed against the blue and dark yellow scales of his mother and father.

     "Where the heck were you! We were worried sick!" His mother scolded him. "Don't you dare tell me you were out near the border, Kyran? You know we told you never to go there!" She cupped her son's face in her small hands, trying to find the answer in his eyes.

"Mom, Mom, don't worry. I didn't go out that far. Plus, Evan went with me," Kyran knew what his mother wanted to ask him. When he saw her cast a glance at the scar on his right arm, he knew she wanted to know if he had encountered any humans.

"Oh... and where is he now?" Kyran's mother let go of his face and started looking around for the green-eyed boy. Kyran sneaked a glance at his father behind her. His almond-shaped eyes were fixated on his wife, his arms folded in disapproval at his son's actions.

     "I think he went back to his house," Kyran answered sheepishly. He wasn't sure where his friend had gone. Evan could've swum back to the barrier for all Kyran knew. But Evan wasn't like that. At least, not when it came to the barrier. He actually listened to those rules, surprisingly.

"Well, I had come outside to call you in for lunch, but I got sidetracked.." her voice trailed off as she stared off into the distance, "but now that you're back, we can go inside." She flashed her son a quick soft smile before swimming back to their house. Kyran swam in and headed straight for his room. He wasn't hungry right now and didn't want to interact with his siblings. He was too intrigued by the gem he had found. Kyran tried to swim up to his bedroom when at least 3 smaller merfolk swam up and bombarded him with questions.

Where did you go, Kyran?

What did you see?

What's in your bag?

Did you find anything?

What weird thing did you find this time, nerd?

That voice stuck out above the rest. Kyran turned and frowned to see his oldest younger sibling staring at him. He was looking back and forth from the bag to Kyran's eyes, waiting for a response to his tease. Kyran gave him an unamused stare back. Lucas smirked at the reaction he got from Kyran and stared back smugly.

"What?! I only asked a question," Lucas said, sly. He had the same stupid sickly grin plastered on his face that Kyran knew all too well. It was the grin he always wore when he teased him. Kyran hated it. Loathed it, even.

"Butt out, Lucas..." Kyran started to swim towards the archway to his room with he felt a pair of hands latch onto his bag. "HEY!" Kyran turned around too quickly. The momentum from the spin only gave Lucas the upper hand. He snapped Kyran's bag off of his tail and began rummaging through it, determined to steal something. "GIVE IT BACK!" Kyran was practically fuming at this point. He hated when Lucas acted like this. Treating Kyran like he was the younger one. They started chasing each other around the house until Lucas swam up and around Kyran, dropping the bag. Kyran swiftly picked it up and scanned the inside for anything Lucas snatched. The gem wasn't there.

Kyran turned around to see Lucas fiddling with the silver ring around the gem. He lunged at him to get the gem back. Sounds of crashing cascaded through the hall, but the only one both the boys heard was the sound of blue scales scraping against one another.