The Girl From the Snake Village

"He's agreed to take care of you while you're here."

A girl with hair of several pastel colors and yellow eyes nodded as she followed the man called Hokage, though his real name, as he had introduced himself, was Hiruzen Sarutobi.

"You don't have to be nervous, you know. Though, if you are uncomfortable, I'm sure we can make another arrangement—"

"It's alright."

Hiruzen smiled at her and she glanced away, fiddling with her fingers as they approached the door of an apartment near the heart of the village of Konohagakure, which others called Konoha as well.

Hiruzen knocked on the door and after a moment, it swung open.

Standing in the threshold was a man with spiky silver hair tilting towards the left sides. His eyes wear a deep grey, nearly black and for someone taking on the responsibility of a child, much less an outsider, he had a relaxed expression on his face, which was oddly enough covered by a dark mask.

He glanced down at her, the girl who was dressed in a short sleeved black turtleneck, wearing loose robes of green, seams lined with a navy blue color, a golden obi tied in the back. She had on black leggings and sandals, her hair pulled into a bun at the top of her head, a long, excess ponytail falling over her left shoulder in waves.

"Hello there. What's your name?"

She looked up, somewhat happy to know he seemed kind enough.

"I'm, uh...Mamushimi. Mamushimi Hebinomura" she greeted.

"I'm Kakashi Hatake. I hope we get along" he introduced himself and she quietly shook hands with him.

"Thank you, Lord Hokage" She said and Hiruzen smiled, patting her head.

 "I hope you find peace in our village. We all sincerely welcome you, Mamushimi" he said and with that, he nodded to Kakashi, turning and walking away with his hands behind his back, the shinobi beside him eyeing the girl before hurrying to catch up.

"You can come in" Kakashi said and she rocked on her heels for a moment before crossing the threshold.

"Thank you."

She took her shoes off and set them aside neatly, watching the man, who seemed curious.

"Do you want to see your room? It's not much, but I figured you can buy whatever you'd like to decorate" he said and Mamushimi nodded, following behind him to a small room, a bed located in the corner beneath the window, a desk right across from, which sat next to a set of closet doors.

"Do I need to grab your bags—?"

"I don't have anything. Lord Hokage gave me what I needed" she said, walking inside and opening a brown box that sat on the bed.

"I see."

The room was awkward, Mamushimi staring into the box as Kakashi glanced around, unsure of what to do.

Weren't kids usually loud and messy? This one was...really quiet.

"I'll let you get unpacked. Dinner is in an hour, so come out once you're done" he said and she looked up, nodding.

"Yes, sir."

"You don't have to do that "sir" thing. It makes me sound old."

"Alright" she nodded and he stepped out, shutting the door behind him.

She sighed and her head dropped for a moment.

This was...rough.

She expected it to be awkward. 

Coming to a new land, a new village, and now, she was in a stranger's home. It didn't seem that he had much experience with children just as she didn't have much experience being around unfamiliar people, much less walking into their home and now living there.

"Just a little while...just a little while longer" Mamushimi murmured to herself, setting out various outfits and placing them on hangers.

She moved them to the closet along with a pair of extra sandals, leaving a pair of folded pajamas on the desk along with a hair brush, toothbrush, and toothpaste for after dinner.

She sat on the bed, waiting out the silent hour until she stepped out, following the smell to the kitchen, peeking her head in curiously, watching her new guardian setting out dishes upon the small table fit for only two, though if one tried, perhaps three.

"You're just in time," Kakashi said, the girl startled since he hadn't turned to even have a chance to see her, "dinner's ready. Have a seat."

She stepped into the kitchen, walking over and sitting down.

"Thank you."

She placed her hands together as she did, closing her eyes and giving her thanks before picking up the pair of chopsticks besides her plate.

"Go ahead" he said, motioning to the food and she reached out, but paused, glancing up.

Mamushimi watched as Kakashi simply leaned his head on his hand. 

They stared at one another for a minute before he gestured to her loose sleeves.

"I hope that's a pet and not just something you picked up outside."

She reached towards her sleeve, before pausing, wondering if he was bluffing or just that good at sensing objects—who was she kidding, this man was a shinobi—a Jonin at that. And when keeping an outsider, one wouldn't put some low level ninja or civilian in charge of her.

"She's nice, she won't hurt anyone" Mamushimi murmured, pulling her sleeve back, revealing a snake.

"Mamushi. Ironic" he stated, seeing the creature coiled around her arm, larger than the average species, but seemingly docile.

"I...I can keep her, right?" Mamushimi asked and he waved his chopsticks.

"There's really no rules here. Keep your messes cleaned up and I'm okay with anything really. It can stay. It is yours, so I don't have a say in if it goes or not. Just make sure to keep it close. I'd hate to see that in the bathroom one morning" Kakashi said and she nodded eagerly.

"Okay."

She reached out and picked up a piece of the shrimp tempura with her chopsticks and blew on it before taking a bite.

"Like it?"

She swallowed and nodded.

"Very much." 

Maybe this wouldn't be as bad as she thought.