Chapter 6

"Welcome back to Channel 9 News, I'm Holly Hartley, here to bring you the latest updates on this unknown virus that has swept through the nation. I'm joined today by disease specialist, Professor Colin Nguyen, from the Westmead Institute. Hi Colin, thanks for joining us today. What can you tell us about this terrifying virus?"

"Thanks for having me, Holly. Well, what we can tell you from our research so far is that this is a strain of Encellomyeitis, similar to SARS and MERS that we saw just a few years ago. This virus has been called ENOV-18, and it affects the respiratory system. Symptoms include shortness of breath, a dry cough, fever, and fatigue. If you're experiencing any of these symptoms it's important to call 000 immediately so that you can get the proper treatment. People at high risk include the elderly and those who are immunocompromised or have pre-existing medical conditions."

"And why is ENOV-18 so dangerous, Colin? How is this virus different from the regular flu?"

"Well, Holly, most of the population has built up an immunity to seasonal flu strains, whereas ENOV-18 is a new virus which no one has immunity to. Scientists are working tirelessly to create a vaccine to this virus as we speak so we can prevent more cases from occurring."

"And how many confirmed cases are in Australia at the moment?"

"There is an estimated fifteen thousand cases of Encellomyeitis currently, and unfortunately we have already had two hundred and three deaths. Today saw a massive increase in numbers which is why this lockdown has been put in place."

"Thank you, Colin, for speaking with us today."

Colin Nguyen vanished from the screen, leaving the news anchor sitting alone at her desk.

"The Australian Army has begun delivering food, toiletry, and information packages to every residential address. In each package there will be a form to fill out where you will specify how many people and animals are at your residence, any medications or toiletries you may need, and specific food allergies and/or intolerances. Along with the package delivery, each residence will be tested for ENOV-18 to ensure the safety of all citizens. All public areas including schools, shopping centres, and supermarkets have been evacuated. We'll be back tomorrow with more updates. Goodnight."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. How on earth had this virus consumed the country so quickly? And why did this lockdown have to occur when I was stuck with the one person I told myself I would avoid.

"I guess we can put this homework away then..." Peyton said slowly, sliding her notebook into her backpack along with her pen. I nodded, doing the same.

"Do you want to call your parents? Let them know that you're safe here," I suggested.

"They won't care, but sure..." she replied awkwardly. She pulled her phone from her back pocket and scrolled through it slowly, eventually pressing it against her ear. I could hear it ringing through the speaker, and then eventually I heard a female voice.

"Hi, you've reached Leanne Mitchell. Please leave your name and phone number, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

"Hi, it's me...Peyton. I just wanted to let you know that I'm safe. I'm at a fr..." she paused awkwardly, glancing at me before continuing, "uh, a girl from school's house. I'm going to stay here. Call me back when you get this so I know you're safe. Bye."

Her tone sounded forced, disingenuous, and almost...sad? I knew better than to bring up the fact that she had almost called me a friend. In fact, I knew better than to bring up the entire experience as a whole. I acted as if the one sided conversation she'd had with her mum's answering machine fell on deaf ears, and I sat in a scared silence. She began calling her friends on the soccer team, checking in and making sure they were all safe. It was strange to hear her voice filled with such concern — I'd never heard her like that before.