Chapter 2

"Morning, Mum!" I yawned, trudging down the stairs in my pyjamas and sitting at the kitchen bench.

"Morning, sweetie," she replied, grabbing a plate from the cupboard and placing the eggs and bacon onto it, "I've been called into work last minute so I've got to rush after this!"

"You worked yesterday, Mum. You hardly ever get a day off," I complained.

It was true, my mum often worked six days a week, too kind to say no when they asked her to work extra shifts.

"I know, but the hospital is under a lot of strain at the moment. Several patients have come through with a seemingly extremely contagious respiratory virus. We're getting more and more numbers by the day!" she exclaimed, quickly throwing the frying pan and spatula in the sink before rushing upstairs.

Only minutes later she reappeared wearing her scrubs. She gave me and Dennis a kiss before rushing out the front door.

After finishing my breakfast I went upstairs to change and get my bag packed for school. I put a small amount of foundation on my slowly bruising nose and ran back downstairs, giving Dennis a quick pat on the head before heading out, getting in my car and driving to school. I arrived just before the first bell, deciding to head straight to homeroom rather than to the picnic table to meet my friends. I'd see them in class.

Being in homeroom with Peyton was never really an issue because we weren't required to sit in alphabetical order. I usually got sour looks from her and her friends, but otherwise my existence was completely ignored. Today was no different. As I walked through the door to homeroom I watched as Peyton and her posse of friends turned to glare at me. I ignored them and sat down in my usual seat, pulling out a book and beginning to read.

The first four lessons of the day went by fairly quickly, and soon enough it was lunch time. Nora and I got our lunch from the canteen and joined Aspen, Courtney, and Esther at the picnic table by the soccer field.

"How was maths?" Courtney asked as we took our seats.

"Horrible," I sighed, letting my backpack fall to the ground.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out, reading the text from my mum.

Mum: Just finished my shift, will be asleep when you get home from school. Try not to wake me. Love you sweetie xx

I sent back a quick response telling her I'd be as quiet as possible and then pocketed my phone. I couldn't help but zone out of the conversation my friends were having, instead watching the students on the soccer field play an intense friendly game. I watched as Nora's boyfriend, Timmy, kicked the ball into the back of the net and then ran over to high five his teammate.

"Why are you staring at her?" Aspen's voice snapped me out of my gaze.

"I - what? Staring at who?" I stammered, before realising that the teammate Timmy had high-fived was, of course, Peyton.

"Oh..." I said slowly, "I was watching Timmy."

Before Aspen could interrogate me further I was saved by the bell. I watched out of the corner of my eye as the boys and Peyton walked off the soccer field to grab their bags. Peyton laughed along with two of the boys and the sound of her laugh carried across the soccer field towards us.