Chapter 33 - A Side Quest

The black van we'd stolen had been parked for hours by the side of the road on the boundaries of Kinglake. We hadn't moved, all of us trying restlessly to gain what little sleep we could. It didn't help that Henry snored like a speaker or that the possums continuously grunted to each other in the trees above us.

I couldn't sleep, instead staring out at the road as the sun slowly came up and bright pastels of yellow and orange discoloured the sky. A magpie tootled somewhere in a nearby tree. I shifted positions, watching Hailey as the rays of new sunlight hit her face and she awoke.

I smiled at her.

She frowned, looking past me as though she was still in a dream. She sat up straighter and leaned forward. Confused, I followed her gaze, feeling Henry and Constance startle themselves awake in the background.

We all crowded simultaneously around the front windscreen like we'd all found the exact same leaf mildly interesting. A hungover, sober Henry gaped slightly, Janet resting her head against his burly chest. A quick glance over at Hailey and Constance told me they were just as astonished.

"What the fuck?" I said, speaking for everyone.

It was an honest question. A question only a semi-well-rested Butch could think of. I felt as though I was at one of those awkward family dinners where the parents suddenly announced they were getting a pet rock as an engagement present.

"Is that...?" Hailey finally managed to say, squinting.

"Yep," I replied.

"Do we, just?"

"Good question," I said promptly, raising a finger in thought. I leaned closer to the windscreen, my breath fogging up a little patch of glass like steam. I almost licked it; I was that close. The longer I stared, the longer the distinct outline of a trolley filled with miscellaneous objects rolled closer down the deserted road.

The sun's rays shimmered through the trees, making the whole sight look strangely magical. The cart rolled further down the hill, completely unattended by a single human sole as we sat in the car on the side of the road, waiting for it to slowly edge closer. It was bizarre nonetheless to see a shopping trolley rolling towards you filled with what we could now make out as large cheese wheels.

"Isn't that..." Hailey questioned, squinting. "Cheese?"

"Good question."

"Could it be a trap?" Constance shrugged.

"I wouldn't be surprised," I replied, "Maybe they've found us?"

"Should we check?" Henry asked.

"I'm strangely addicted to just watching it roll down the hill," I breathed, my eyes wide-open with astonishment as we all followed its trajectory past the car. Concurrently, we all rushed to the boot, clambering over the seats as we watched it pass and continue on, disappearing behind the horizon line.

"Huh," I mused, climbing back into my seat as we all settled down again.

There was no one else on the road despite the time being nearly seven in the morning. It was odd. I knew we were nearing Galgort, and that we'd gone and stolen one of their vehicles – something that was beginning to be a familiar thing with me – but there was no reason for a mouldy cheese cart to be rolling down the road, with no human trailing hysterically after it.

We sat in silence for a few minutes before Constance broke it. "Shall we go on?"

I nodded, drawing in a breath. "Can't get any weirder, can it?"

She raised an eyebrow. "I'm beginning to think weird is just your style, darling."

I raised a short smile as we all buckled ourselves in. Constance took the car out of park and into drive, letting us slowly edge cautiously along the road.