Chapter 31 - The Drunk and Disorderly

I sat, watching as she strained to see over the top of the dancing feathers, cheering and loud doof doof music. Her hair dangled freely as she moved her head this way and that, trying to catch a glimpse of the disappearing Henry.

"I can't see him," she eventually stated as she came down off her toes and squinted at me. "What's wrong?"

Now was my chance. I had a secret burning desire to know what the hell that kiss was for. It bubbled beneath the surface of my skin, making me so nervous that I couldn't think properly when I was near her. If I wanted to survive this heist, I needed to be in control of the wild jitters running around my veins.

I pulled her in close to me, just enough so that our eyes met. "Are we gonna talk...about, you know..."

"The kiss?"

"Yeah."

She pulled back, unsure of what to do as she avoided my eyes. "We could, but right now we have more pressing matters to deal with."

"But I need to know," I persisted, "I can't keep this up for much longer."

"Well, what do you want me to say?" she scorned, placing her hands on her hips. "That it was wonderful?"

"I-I-I dunno." She'd stumped me there, and for a brief moment I let the panic overtake me. "Was it wonderful?"

"Look, if you want me to say it was nothing, then it was nothing."

"But I liked it," I mumbled quietly. I wanted to just stay locked in her gaze forever, secretly devouring the way her eyes seemed to melt like snow. "A lot."

"Butch," she stated firmly, brushing my hands off her shoulders and holding me firmly. "We should get on the move."

"But–"

"Come on."

She grabbed my wrist, pulling me through the mass of sparkling drag queens all docked out in their most colourful outfits. Blue, yellow, purple and pink adorned the dance floor as they all milled about the stage and watched another queen strut it out above them all. It was getting warm in the building as we made our way through the condensed crowd. The disco ball hung from a suspended string as chaotic lights twirled around, making me feel slightly dizzy and I bumped into an unsuspecting table as I went.

My heart grew heavier the more we wove in silence. Didn't she like me? Had I dreamed up the perfect kiss with the one girl who understood my dorky ass? Jack would know exactly what to do in this type of situation.

It wasn't long before we found Constance, grooving her way to the beat, a bright orange cocktail in her hand. Her bangles clanged together as her stiletto heels clicked to the rhythm, and when she spotted us her dark red lips lit up in the most magnificent smile.

"Hello darlings!" she exclaimed.

"Hey Constance," Hailey spoke, cutting the mood in half. "We're looking for Henry. Have you seen him?"

She paused, looking between us as she thought for a moment. "No. I haven't actually." She frowned. "Is everything alright?"

Hailey nodded. "Just peachy," she muttered. "We should get on the road soon though."

"That soon already?" She glanced at her watch, a single pink feather embellishment flopping into her eye as she did so. "Are you sure he's okay to move on?"

"I'm right here, you know," I said, glaring between them. "And yes. I believe I can stand on my own feet."

"Please?" Hailey persisted. "Can you help us find him?"