Chapter 30 - Butterflies and Rogue Gazelles

My head was throbbing like a stereo turned up to the max on party night with the lads. My shoulder was tight, whilst the rest of me was stiff as a board. I groaned, letting my fingers slowly crawl their way up to my forehead and rub my temple gingerly. I felt hungover, but ten times worse.

What the fuck was I on?

"Butch?" a husky, high-pitched voice echoed through the foggy cloud of exhaustion. "Butch? Darling, come on. Wake up."

"Is he gonna be okay?" another strangely high-pitched voice asked.

"Hunty, don't make me get up in your kai kai! Out of the way. Can't you see the fabulous Constance is trying to work her magic on the boy?"

"Hmmph. I'm sure you'll score lots of points with Henry, helping his young friend out like this."

"Bye Felicia."

"Raaahhhhrrrr! Conry is in the house tonight!"

Ship names? What the fuck is going? I groaned, rolling my head over, as my brain tried to comprehend the strange conversion that'd just taken place outside my head.

"Shush." A soft hand swabbed my forehead.

"What happened?" I mumbled.

"You ran into a sign."

"Why can't I move anything?"

They sighed, backing away. "He needs rest dear. He's barely conscious. You can stay here with him if it makes you feel better. But no funny business okay?" A pause. "Good girl. Now if he needs anything come and get me. Immediately."

"Got it. Thanks," a voice, sweet like honey, replied as a door clicked shut and footsteps edged closer to me. "Butch? You awake in there?"

I moaned. My brain wasn't up for processing real human sounds just yet.

"Glad to know you're okay."

"Where am I?" I sighed groggily.

"Henry had a friend who could help us. No use in taking you anywhere else until we got the file."

"And did you?"

There was a pause, before the sheets beside me ruffled and Hailey's body was making a dent in the mattress I was lying on. She curled up next to me.

"Are you watching me sleep?"

"Maybe," she replied. "How ya feeling?"

"Like shit."

"Well, you were out cold for a few days. You have this cute ass egg on your head though." I felt her smile as her finger gently touched the spot where I'd been shot only days ago, making me flinch a little.

I sighed, feeling the stiffness in my shoulder grow.

"I left it on the table."

"Left what?" I asked, suddenly puzzled at the fragmented conversation I was now involved in.

She chuckled. "Oh, sorry. The file. I left it on the table beside you."

"Thanks." I nodded, becoming more comfortable as I let my body find its way deeper into the abyss of sleep. But my mind wasn't up for shutting up today, and I instead found it wondering what Hailey was doing beside me. It was unusual – hadn't I insulted her several times over? "What are you doing?"

Silence. Great. I'd gone and done the usual Butch thing of ruining everything in my life...again.

"I'm kinda stupid and I feel bad for you."

"Thanks, I think. But you're far from being classified as stupid."

"No! I am. Believe me!" she stated defensively, leaning away from me.