chapter twenty nine

Start from the beginning

"No! Aurora you beast!" I screamed at her through my tears, kicking and thrashing wildly.

Aurora lowered the gun and flicked her hair over her shoulder. Blood was leaking through Daniel's mouth and he struggled to breathe.

"I'm sure daddy dearest will be so happy when he finds his son dead." She cackled and then she raised the gun and shot again, this time hitting Daniel in the shoulder.

I screamed.

"But no, Daniel. I won't kill you so quickly. You must suffer first. You'll suffer from those wounds. So much pain." She squatted, pushing the mouth of the gun into Daniel's wounded shoulder. He groaned, his face scrunching up from anguish. Aurora laughed darkly.

"Aurora stop!" I yelled.

She ignored me, pressing the gun to his stomach now. Groans, blood, agony.

"You'll bleed and wish that death would take you quickly. You'd wish I'd shot you in the head instead." Aurora smiled devilishly, standing up.

She was like a crazed beast, a vile animal let loose. Her smile...it sent a bucket load of shivers through me.

"Aurora I'm begging you please! Please stop this, please!" I cried.

She didn't listen.

Daniel's eyes were desolate, distant. But when he looked up at Aurora I saw the hatred in them, I saw something snap in him. It felt like a light was dimming inside of him and in place a stormy darkness filled with vengeance was pooling.

I wish she would let me go to Daniel. Let me salvage the wounds somehow. Let me hold him at least. He was bleeding too much. The coppery smell of blood filled the air, choking me.

"Alright boys, my little revenge party is over. Let's light this place up." Aurora ordered. The command in her voice chilled me to the bone.

Light this place up?

That was when I noticed two men pushing in what looked like bombs strapped to a cart. They had timers that were yet to be set.

No. No. NO!

"Madam Aurora, all the bombs are in place." The man said, handing Aurora a remote. And then he proceeded to set the bombs, the countdown starting.

Minutes ticking away our doom.

She snapped her fingers and all the men left the room. The man holding me began to carry me out despite my struggling and thrashing and trying to reach for a dying Daniel.

No. She can't do this. I didn't want to leave. Daniel needed help. He was dying on the floor. I can't leave him.

"Aurora please, please don't let him die. Don't do this. I'm begging you. He's your brother." I cried.

Aurora turned and slapped me across the face. "He's not my brother. He'll never be my brother. Now shut up! You're lucky I don't allow you to burn alongside him."

"Please." I whispered but Aurora paid deaf ears.

We were out of the house in minutes. I noticed the three large black cars parked in the driveway. Six security men lying on the ground, unconscious. Gideon. Chris.

Eve and the maids were on their knees near the fountain, guns pointed at them. The large gate manned by Aurora's goons.

My heart sank. I tried to scream but I was stopped, slapped and pushed to the ground, guns pointed at me. Eve held me, looking up at the men with scared eyes.

They made us stand up, the gate opening. We were ushered out roughly and all I could think of were the security men on the ground. Were they dead? If they weren't, they would be when Aurora blew up the house.

We were all out of the house now, the black cars driving out and parking. They made us kneel once again, the gates left open so we could watch.

"Well, it has been fun." And then Aurora held up the remote.

"Aurora, please. Please. Don't do this." I cried. "I'm sorry for what his father did but don't do this. Go back and save him. I'm begging you! Please! Don't do it!"

With cold eyes and a smirk she replied, "Watch me."

She pressed the button. The house exploded, the explosion thunderous, fire leaping and blazing through the once beautiful house. The windows blew out, the doors flew off, the walls crumbled, the roof shattered...and Daniel...

I closed my eyes, crying in pain. Eve held me tightly, crying as well.

I screamed his name, wishing I could turn back time, wishing I could go back into that fire and save him. But I was held back by Eve, the hot fire blazed and burned before my eyes, sizzling and eating everything in its wake.

Aurora turned to me with a laugh. "Oh poor Kimmy. Your pathetic crush is dead. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Bad taste in men, I must say."

I looked up at her with contempt. I will never forgive her for this. From this moment on, she meant nothing to me.

Aurora gave me one last look. "It was fun while it lasted Kim, but I have somewhere to be and a tale to tell my fine fiance. Oh, he'll be so thrilled."

The door of one of the cars was held open for her and she stepped in. It closed behind her and the man went to the driver's side.

The men pointing guns at us backed away when Aurora's car drove away before they walked into the second and third cars and drove off, leaving us on the pavement. She'd brought an army for this raid. We never stood a chance.

I held onto Eve with shaky hands and cried, long and hard. I cried because Aurora just pulled out my heart and stomped on it.  I cried because I'd just been betrayed by someone I loved and trusted.

I cried for Daniel.

• • •