14

It was much later that Alassëa appeared, tentatively walking out of her room with the cold cup of tea in her hands. Moving over to the sink, she simply poured it away and placed the cup in water to wash. "Both Bain and Tilda said you weren't feeling well, are you feeling better now?" Alassëa naturally flinched and turned sharply. She narrowed her eyes at Bard for making her jump. She had been so intent in coming out, getting something else to drink, and returning back to her room that she hadn't registered anyone else being present.

He was sitting at the window seat, the sleeves of his shirt slightly rolled up and his legs stretched out in front of him. Beside him sat a book, so clearly he was either not tired or wasn't going to retire to his room just yet because he'd struck up reading. When she didn't reply, he moved from his seat and walked slowly towards her. Alassëa had moved away from the sink and had had it in mind to just go back to her room, only her path was suddenly intercepted.

Having hands on her shoulders to stop her from walking off again, she simply looked up at him when one of his hands went under her chin and lifted her face up to look at him. "Cold," she said a little too quickly, Bard raised an eyebrow and continued to look down at her. She just stared up at him with unwavering golden eyes. "I'm not used to it is all." She said halfheartedly.

"Right," Bard said slowly with a frown. Slowly and gently he placed a hand against her forehead, she didn't feel particularly cold, but then she didn't feel warm either. Alassëa let out a sigh and leaned against his hand when it rested back against her neck, and much like earlier when he trailed his thumb over her cheek and across the bottom of her jawline.

Alassëa opened her eyes and smiled softly. "I'm fine." She said in a reassuring voice.

"Is that because you've sneakily lied about feeling unwell?" Alassëa's eyes narrowed, Bard smiled and looked around before looking back at her. "I have three children, trust me when I say I can tell when someone is lying about feeling unwell. I have prior experience with these sorts of lies." He paused and looked at her seriously. "What is the matter?"

Alassëa frowned, "I just wanted to have some silent time, that's all." She looked slowly up at him. "To think." She was silent for a few moments before reaching up and placing a hand over the one still resting against her skin. "Sorry."

"For what?" Bard asked while she gave a slow shrug and seemed to think over her words for a few moments.

"For making you clearly worry." Alassëa smirked, while feeling as the hand she had placed hers over slowly turned and linked with hers, before dropping to their sides. Tilting her head to the side she quickly looked at their linked hands before looking up at him.

Most of her alone time was spent thinking over the slight guilt she may have been feeling in regards to his wife. He had devoted a part of his life to one woman, and when she passed a part him went with her. Alassëa couldn't help but feel minor guilt over the fact whether she would be viewed as a replacement or something along those lines. It caused her to worry. But she could feel, as she stood there suddenly feeling as he leaned his forehead against hers, that her worry was slowly ebbing away. It was true, he had pledged himself to a woman long ago. Though she was gone she still lived in his heart. As the two stood in content silence, Alassëa needn't have the guilt still hanging over her. It was clear, on both sides, that they had made their decisions. If they hadn't, he for certain would not be standing with her.

"Don't be," Bard pulled away and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "What's this about a day at the market?" He asked while looking at her curiously.

Alassëa's expression went blank as she let out a nervous laugh and hung her head. Pushing her hair out of her face as she looked back up at him, she smiled. "Well it is cold, and I don't own a proper coat you see, and it got me thinking, who could give me good advice on clothes?"