13

I had to sleep a night at the hospital and the next day I was allowed to go back home. I didn't sleep at all that night, not just because of nightmares. But I had to go under surgery.

I am really lucky to still be alive, if the ambulance had gotten at the Key house five minutes later. I would've died. Not because the wound was bad, but because I lost a lot of blood. Rufus and Bode just picked me up from the hospital, because Nina, Kinsey and Tyler are busy cleaning up the house.

Bode is cuddled up to me, afraid to let me go. "So soldier, are you okay now?" Rufus asks looking at me tru the rearview mirror, "I could be better" I tell him. "You know, Tyler is really worried about you" Bode tells me.

I am actually really embarrassed, because I know he sees me as his sister and I told him my feelings.

We drive up to the Key House and Bode let's go of me. Rufus get's out of the car and helps me stumble to the house, "It's now like you are really G.I Joe, you also won a battle" Rufus tells me. I smile and look up at him.

We walk inside and I thank Rufus for helping me, "We should hang out some time, with Bode and G.I Joe of course" Rufus says. I nod and Bode grabs my hand and walks me into the kitchen.

I see Tyler and Kinsey doing the dishes, when they hear me come in they look over at me. Kinsey smiles from ear to ear when she sees my face, she rushes over to me and carefully hugs me. Tyler on the other hand looks at his phone and then the doorbell rings, he walks to the door completely ignoring me and Kinsey walks after him.

Okay I really fucked up.

I walk over to a chair and sit down. They come back inside with Gabe and Jackie, I met Gabe one time when he was hanging out with Kinsey and I obviously met Jackie before. Don't get me wrong, I think Jackie is an amazing human and I won't treat her any different than that, just because Tyler likes her.

"Hey, Angel. How are you holding up?" Jackie asks, "Yeah, it's not everyday that you survive being shot" Gabe adds. I smile at them, "Yeah, obviously could have been better. But I'm glad I am still alive" I tell them.

"Looks like your not hurting for comforting food" Jackie says, everyone is now in their own conversation and I'm still just sitting in the kitchen chair.

I stand up and walk upstairs, I don't see the point in sitting there when nobody is talking to you. I walk into Bode's room and he looks up from his drawing. "So what are you drawing?" I ask him, "It's our family" he replies.

"Then why am I on it?" I ask, "You are part of it as well" he tells me. I smile down at him and open my arms for a hug, he stands up and melts into my arms. We pull away from our hug and Bode continues drawing.

There is a knock on the door and Rufus comes in. "Hey, soldiers" He greets.

~~~

Rufus, Bode and I are walking down the stairs looking for Nina. "Mom, Mom" Bode exclaims, he runs into Nina's arms and begins talking. "Did you know that Rufus has a P51 D mustang?" Bode asks.

"That's a car?".

"Aircraft" I correct, you know after hanging out with Bode and 'G.I Joe' I know a lot about these things. "A model airplane" Ellie explains.

"Bode and Angel want to come over and work on it with me" Rufus says, "Yeah, if that's okay?" I ask. "Yeah, that sounds like fun" Nina says turning to Ellie, "If it's okay with you of course, I think it's good for them to get out of the house for a bit" Nina explains.

"Sure, of course" Ellie says a bit unsure, "Thanks mom" Bode says pulling his mom into another hug. "Have fun".

"Thanks Ellie" I say, "Sure" she tells me. "Come on guys" Bode says mimicking an airplane.

We arrive at Rufus's house and start working on the model airplane. "This is not easy, beats being home" Bode confesses.

"Is it hard being there after what happened?" Rufus asks us, "It's not really that, it's just Tyler and Kinsey have been keeping secrets from me again. And it's super frustrating" Bode explains. "Yeah, I don't know about them too" I exclaim.

"How do you know they're keeping secrets from you? Wouldn't that be secret?" Rufus asks. "They think they are protecting us" I explain to them, "but they're wrong" Bode says.

"Just because they're older doesn't mean they are right" he adds, I look at him and continue to work on the airplane. Rufus suddenly turns around and walks over to us, "What's up?" I ask. "If your direct commander wanted you to keep sensitive intel on an enemy classified, would you, under any circumstances, disobey that order?" Rufus asks us.

"Do you have an enemy, too? Or are we talking about ours?" Bode asks pointing between me and him, footsteps start approaching us and I look up.

"Rufus, who are your friends?" a guy with black long hair asks, I have this feeling. Like I have seen him before, it's quiet for a while until Rufus speaks up again. "This is Bode and Angel" he introduces us, the guy looks at Bode and then at me. I awkwardly shift in my seat.

"Bode, Angel this is my cousin" Rufus explains, "We're really busy right now".

"I can see that" Rufus's cousin says walking closer, there is something about him that frightens me. "So I didn't know Rufus had a cousin" Bode says breaking the tension in the room. "Where are you from?" I ask.

"Nowhere in particular, move around a lot" The raven haired guy answers, I nod and look back at the model airplane. Rufus rubs the back of his neck and his cousin looks at him, "like living with Ellie, though".

"Sorry to hear about what happened, at your house" he says, "Thanks, but like Rufus said, we're sort of busy right now" Bode tells him.

"Hey, guys!" we hear Ellie say, "Brought you some fresh cookies" she looks at the black haired man behind me and says, "You said you were going to be out all afternoon".

"Well I just got back" he explains. Ellie looks like she isn't sure what she is suppose to do, "Do you guys want some ice cream to go with these?" she asks awkwardly. "Yeah!" Bode replies standing up from his seat.

"Actually, I don't feel too well. I think I'm gonna head home" I tell them, "Bode, if you need anything. Call me" I smile at them. "How are you going to get home?" Bode asks me, "I'll take the bus".

"Thank you Rufus, for the amazing day and thank you Ellie for letting me come here and get my mind off of the things going on"