Chapter 26

I have always liked being alone when I'm in a mood. Sometimes, being around people was exhausting and when I was in a mood, it was extra exhausting. Danny, as my best friend, knew this. So, I wondered why he was here, going on and on about his project, the project that I was trying to work on but he kept on interrupting.

"Daniel," I groan, finally dropping my pen in the middle of my book and turning to him. "What do you really want?"

"Nothing," He said, grinning.

"You're a shit liar."

"What are your two memories?" He asked, trying to peek but I shoved him away. Our tutor, Mr Miller, had come up with a project that everybody in our year had to do.

We had to come up with two memories that we would like to re-experience. They didn't have to be happy memories, they just had to mean something to us, it could be bad or good. We could bring a copy of picture of it or we could write about it.

My first memory, I'm guessing it was pretty obvious... it was the last picture I have of me and my parents. It was at Aunt Jeanine's birthday. Mum was smiling at the camera, wrapping her arms around me, keeping me from running off after Lottie. Dad was behind my mum, smiling happily, always ready for pictures. For once, looking at the picture didn't feel like it hurt so much that I didn't want to look. It was a nice feeling, a feeling that I had to thank Becca for.

I was trying to focus on the good memories. I couldn't bring them back, the best thing I could do was... focus on the good things when I got sad about it.

As for my second memory...

I was finding it hard to come up with a second memory, so I was making a list of things I would like to relive. Thankfully, we still had about a week to give it in, so I wasn't not too worried. Although I should be because as much as I wanted to focus on the assignment... for the past week all I've done is think and overthink about whatever it was that the girls were talking about when they wanted me to 'figure it out.' I wastrying to figure it out. I really was but some things made no sense. Some things were weird and complicated and— feelingswere clouding my mind because of Maddison.

I understood that in order to figure things out, I first had to figure out what these feelings for Maddison meant and it was easy to say but it wasn't so easy when you didn't understand shit about what you were feeling. I never in a million years would have even thought that Maddison and I would ever be a 'Maddison and I.' And it wasn't because we stopped talking but rather because when we were kids, Danny, Maddie and I... we were like siblings. And all this figuring out business, it just made me think about all the things I lived with Maddison. All those years we spent together, as friends.

And it was confusing. Very confusing.

"What are your memories?" I frowned at him. Danny sighed, throwing his hair back dramatically. His Adam's apple visible, facial hair growing even though he shaved like two days ago.

"Tell me yours and I tell you mine," He winked, making me snort. "Anyway, I've got two dates for prom."

"Look at you, a lady's man." I sighed, biting my lip to keep myself from laughing as I turn back to my book.

"Do you think if I introduce them both as my girlfriends my mum will freak out?" I turned to face him but he was still staring at the ceiling.

"They'll think you're a manwhore." I snorted. Danny's mum was very... vocal about what she thought when it came to polyamorous relationships.

Danny laughed, holding his belly as he sat up.

"What's it like?" I asked him. "The whole three people thing."