Chapter 15

"I totally failed that," I told Danny as we both walked out of school. I wasn't in a good mood, I hated it when I failed exams, mostly because I was distracted by something else.

Maddison, to be exact.

"You've been revising none stop, how can you fail?" Danny laughed, I punched his arm to seconds later regret it and end up rubbing where I had punched.

"Distracted and in a bad mood, oh, I see." He said with a fake French accent like we used to do when our favourite movie was the pink panther and Steve Martin did that French accent. We talked with that accent for days. Maddison was the best one with accents.

"Danny—"

"Did you ever message the H&M girl? Luna?" He wiggled his eyebrows as we both made our way to the bus stop.

"No, because the whole shit with people saying I had slept with Maddison happened..." I sighed, resting my head against his side.

Danny put his arm around my shoulder, guiding us the rest of the way. While we were on our way, I saw Cassie and Nina walking slowly out of school grounds before us, they were heading towards the park.

"Aren't they cute?" I asked, pointing at them.

"I guess," He shrugged, turning around, looking for someone. I turned around too, looking at where he kept trying to find.

And there they were, the both of them.

Lottie and Maggie, walking hand in hand, giggling and full of joy. Jesus, they looked like they were closer than Lottie and I ever was.

"They're beautiful, aren't they?" I asked him, not because I wanted him to tell me anything specific but... they were beautiful.

Danny turned around quickly as if he had gotten caught looking at something he shouldn't. "Who?"

I laughed at his attempt to fool me. "Come on, Danny, it's pretty obvious."

"There's nothing there, though," He said, looking away as if he could hide from this conversation. "They were with Maddison and I— I'm not—"

"It's not like Maddison would care," I frowned, crossing my arms over my chest when he removed his arm from around me.

"Yeah but it'd be weird?"

"To who?"

"I don't want Maddison's seconds." I stopped walking as soon as he said that. When he noticed, he turned to me. "What?"

"Are you serious?"

"What did I say?"

"Maddison's seconds?" I repeat and he seems to catch up. "We're not Maddison's seconds. We were with Maddison, so what? Now we can't like anyone else?"

"We?" He frowned, walking over to me. "We, Asha?"

"We're talking about your choice of words, not mine."

Groaning, he turned around with his head hanging back. "You know I don't mean it like that— I just don't— it's not like that it's just—"

"What is it, Daniel? Aren't they good enough for you?"

"No, that's not—"

"What, what is it? Maddison touched them so they're no longer clean for you?"

"Oh, for fuck sakes, I'm not like that and you know it," He finally turned back to me, his brown eyes grew darker as he took another step towards me. "Don't run your mouth about shit you don't know, Asha."