Chapter 3

When Sam walked in, the atmosphere of the room began to change. I was still annoyed but my anxiety overthrew that.

Sam was pretty much the most wonderful person I've ever met.

She was stunning, and she had that type of personality that just drew you to her, she didn't even have to try.

She smiled at me, and my brain froze.

I mumbled something that was between a hi and hello. Sam chuckled, and my whole body shivered. Her dark brown eyes stared into mine. I wanted to hug her hello or something but my feet were glued to the ground.

"Who is this?" Maddison said, looking at Sam up and down. Her annoying voice breaking the spell I was under.

"This is Sam," Lottie introduced her, "she lives next door to my grandparents."

Nobody said anything for a moment, and awkwardness was radiating off of me. I kept thinking of all the things I could say but with Lottie and Maddison there, my mind was blank.

I opened my mouth, ready to say anything when someone burst inside the room, making us turn to look at who it was.

First thing I saw was his dark purple hair. His brown eyes met mine and he frowned, probably noticing my awkwardness.

"Why are you all— Ahh, Sam," Danny gasped when he saw her, he then looked over at me, then at Lottie, and finally at Maddison. "What's going on?"

Danny's voice was deep and soft. Sweat was dripping from his thick eyebrow, down his cheek and into his three-day beard. He had a light smile on his face, his eyes dancing from one person to the next. He looked slightly drunk and about ready to drag us all to the dance floor, his head was bouncing at the rhythm of the song.

Almost three years on T and he looked the happiest I've ever seen him.

"Your bestie has a little crush, I believe," Maddison blurted out.

My cheeks instantly burning. My mouth dropped open.

HOW DARE SHE?

"Maddie," Lottie groaned, pushing Maddison a little.

I avoided Sam's questioning eyes. I needed a rock to hide under.

I really wanted to leave that room.

"Don't be an ass, Maddie," Danny said, rolling his eyes he walked inside the room, dropping his arm around Maddison.

"The party's outside, people, come on," Danny said, pushing Maddison out the door with him.

I felt panic rising in my chest when it was only the three of us. The awkwardness was too much, the tension and everything—

"I'm going to get a drink—" Lottie said, biting her lower lip.

"I'll go with you." Sam quickly added, following after Lottie, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

What the fuck was Maddison's issue?

♀ ♀

I was waiting for it to be at least 12:30 so I could go home.

After the embarrassment I went through, I decided to stay clear from them all, especially Sam. I sat outside on the swing Uncle Rob took a year and a half to build. I was back to PandaPop when I felt the swing move by someone's weight.

To my side, Sam was getting comfortable on the swing, a beer in her hand. My mouth went dry, I almost dropped my phone when she turned to face me. A hint of a smile on her face. Her dark hair was shorter than I remember. She was wearing a simple but pretty dress, a green one that went perfectly well with her light brown skin.