Chapter 12 - A Scary Encounter

"You can't sleep?" you asked. Taehyung shook his head. "Are you getting sick maybe?" You reached up, putting a hand on his forehead. "There's no fever."

"Nah. It's not that." He said. "I just...I've been lying on the couch all night and I can't sleep."

"Well, come sit." You motioned beside you and he plopped down, laying back in the bed. "Want something? Maybe some warm milk?" Taehyung shook his head.

"That's never helped me." He said. You sighed as you watched him just lie there, covering his face. You knew your parents might not be happy if they caught him in here, but you didn't want to kick him out. He was your boyfriend, after all.

"...Do you want to stay in here?" you asked. Taehyung moved his hands from his face and looked up at you.

"I'm sure your father will kill us both." He said. "Besides, I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

"You won't." you assured. "But I'll feel bad if I send you back downstairs when you're like this. You look like you're about to cry." Taehyung sighed, sitting back up as he buried his head in his hands once again. "Is something wrong?" Taehyung was silent for a few moments, and you just ran a hand through his hair. His head finally rolled back, exposing his face as he let his head relax in your touch. You could see his eyes, they were glassy, much like yours were earlier this evening at dinner, and he was pressing his tongue hard against the inside of his cheek. You saw that he seemed like he was struggling. "Listen, you don't have to tell me anything. Let me just go downstairs and make you something to drink and-" when you tried to stand up, you felt Taehyung grab hold of your arm. You turned to him and he pulled you back onto the bed.

"I said I didn't want anything..." he said. You nodded, feeling his grip soften. "Listen...What I'm going to tell you...is stuff that only the other guys know. So just...keep it that way, okay?" he asked. Once again, you nodded.

"Promise."

"Okay..." he said. "Well, the main reason I can't sleep is that I keep thinking about your parents. Remember how I said how nice your mom is, and how hard your dad tries to keep you safe from idiots like me?" he asked. You smiled a bit.

"You're not an idiot." You said, holding his hand tightly in both of yours. He chuckled.

"Regardless...I was looking up at the ceiling and just starting thinking about what big dicks my parents are, especially my dad." You blinked, slightly surprised by the comment. "And I was just thinking about how lucky you have it, and how jealous I am of you. You get to come home to a welcoming family, a cute little brother, a warm meal and a clean house." He chuckled. "Your mother makes you lunches to bring to school...she'll pick you up when you need a ride or take care of you when you're hurt."

"Why don't your parents do that?" you asked.

"Well, for starters, my dad's in jail." Taehyung said. He glanced at you. "He treated me and my mom like crap since I was a kid, and when I was 11, I had enough of it. So I told my teacher, and she told the cops, and they came and visited the house. He beat the shit out of me when I was 11 for ratting him out to the cops, as soon as they left for the day. So, I went right back out to the station and told them again." He shrugged. "He got arrested. He'd had a record before, in and out of jail before I was even around, so he's been away since then." He pursed his lips. "And my mom was pretty okay up until then. Nice, a bit sensitive, but she wasn't a dick like him. But riiiiiight after that fucking day, after she watched her only son get pummeled by her scumbag husband, she changed."

"...What do you mean?" you asked. Taehyung shrugged.

"She moved us out of the house. She said she was divorcing my dad but she never did. But that didn't stop her from hitting the bottle and drinking and bringing all these guys in the house." He said. "She stopped taking care of the house after that, stopped spending time with me or even really talking to me." You frowned as you saw how progressively frustrated he was getting. "That pisses me off even more than my father. See, he was always a dick. But my mom wasn't like that. Once he was gone, I guess his scumbagness just...went into her, I don't know."