Chapter Thirty-Two

FINAL 1/2

get ready for a long, depressing chapter y'all!

It was possibly the coldest night yet. The wind seemed to howl, and the fur along Hawk's spine wouldn't lay flat. Tonight was the night of the battle. Tonight was the night everything would change, for better or worse.

"You ready for this?" Bee slithered up next to him. Hawk kept his gaze forward. Behind him he could hear his camp-mates' pawsteps.

"As I'll ever be." Hawk stopped, and lifted his tail to signal the others to do the same. "This is where we agreed to meet." he meowed.

Heart, Rose, Tawny, Puddles, and Nettlecloud stopped. Feather and Tawny put down their bundle of herbs. "Now we wait for the others." Feather mewed.

As if on cue, The River Runner's scent filled Hawk's nose. Dusk, Berry, Stream, Squirrel and Jay came into view. Jay immediately went to discuss something with Feather. "These are all the cats I could spare." Dusk meowed.

Hawk dipped his head. "Thank you for sparing any. Is your camp guarded?"

Berry nodded. Her pale fur was fluffed. "The rest are on guard, and we reinforced our dens just in case." She mewed. Hawk nodded.

Thunderclan took longer to arrive. When they did, Cherryrun, Hawkgaze, Hootclaw, Stagleap, Fringefur, and Bramblewhisker followed Frightstar. The large she-cat dipped her head to Dusk and Hawk. They both returned her greeting. "Are we ready?" She asked.

"Yes." Hawk got to his paws, as they began the trek to ShadowClan territory. Rose fell in beside him.

"Maybe you should talk to Tawny." She meowed. "Now might be the best time."

Hawk's fur stood up. "What do you mean?"

She met his gaze steadily. "You know what I mean." Rose fell back in line with her sister, Heart. The thought of something happening to Tawny sickened him, especially if she died before he could make things right. He dropped back, feeling worry bubble beneath his pelt. Tawny only looked at him and back in front of her.

"Tawny," He began. She didn't look at him. "I just want you to know I'm sorry." She still didn't look at him. Hawk sighed "I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry and that no matter what happens, I love you. I just wanted you to know in case something happens." Hawk picked up his pace. Tawny's head snapped towards him.

"What do you mean in case something happens?" Panic edged her voice. She hurried up next to him.

Hawk locked eyes with her. Tawny's eyes were laced with emotions Hawk couldn't quite place. "If something happens to me, I just want you to know I'm sorry."

Tawny stared at him, not blinking. "No." She narrowed her eyes. "If anything happens to anycat, it'll be Shadowclan, Windclan, or me." Hawk blinked at her. She leaned against him. "I'm sorry too." Hawk felt relief wash over him.

Frightstar stopped. "We're here." Her eyes narrowed.

"Any words of inspiration?" Bee scratched his ear. Most of the cats looked towards Hawk.

He straightened. His eyes flickering around the cats around him. He was responsible for them, and anything that happened to them. "Fight with honor. Don't spill blood if its not needed. We aren't rogues." Hawk shot a glance at Tawny, who watched with admiration glimmering in her eyes. "Don't be a hero. If you're injured, you go to Jay, Feather, or Bramblewhisker. Goosewhisker and Pheasantpaw should be in their camp."

The cats around him glanced at each other. "This is it." Rose whispered. Heart leaned against her and twined their tails.

Dusk dipped his head. "Be careful, all of you. May your paws be guided in the right direction." The cats murmured their agreement.