Chapter twelve

"Oh, hello Hawk. How can I help you?" Feather mewed as she entered the den. Hawk had been waiting for her in the Healer's den.

"What exactly is Starclan?" Hawk hadn't exactly planned on coming on that strong, but what other way could he have said it nonchalantly?
Feather, Cleary taken aback, dropped the small bundle of calming herbs she had been carrying. "What do you mean 'what is Starclan'?" She mewed.
Hawk huffed. "I mean, what is Starclan?"
"It's where our fallen go."

"Yes I know that!" Hawk was beginning to lose his patience. He didn't know why, it seemed like such an easy question. Why was she avoiding it?

"Starclan is.. well, no one truly knows unless you're there-er, dead, I suppose." Feather's tail wrapped neatly around her paws. "Some cats believe they can control or warn cats. I, however, just believe they hold our fallen. I mean, they were just cats, right?"

Hawk flicked his ears. "Why?"

Feather tilted her head slightly. "Why what?"

"Why do you not believe in it?"

"I didn't say I don't believe in Starclan. I said I doubt their abilities." Feather's tail flicked as her eyes narrowed. "It's the clan cats' job to believe in such things. Here, hope only gets you so far. You need to rely on the things and cats around you to help. Not a bunch of dead friends."

Hawk flinched at the harshness of her voice. Sure, she had been sarcastic and had a hard tone every once in a while when dealing with a grumpy Hunter, but she's never been this harsh before.
Feather seemed to notice his growing fear as she let the fur lie flat on her back and tail.

"Hawk listen to me." She rose to her paws, resting her tail on his shoulder. "If you live your whole life hoping and wishing for something, you won't get very far."

Hawk slumped slightly. Did that mean the everlasting hope he had to see his sister again was pointless? The wish of smelling her comforting scent, of sleeping next to her like in the nursery, or even playing moss ball, was going to be his downfall? Would she be the reason he slipped up in a battle, or even cause one?

Through the never ending swirling thoughts, he managed to look Feather in her eyes and nod. Nod even if he didn't believe her. Nod if that was the only thing he could do. Nod, because if he tried to fight against the tear in his heart that begged to have hope, he knew deep down,

He would never see his sister again. And if he did, he would be forced to fight her, or die to the clan that threw him out.

(Wowwww! Look who updated!😱 okay, so, 1st of all, happy late Halloween! 2nd, happy early thanksgiving! 3rd, my birthday was October 29th! Anyway, hope you're all having a great day/night, and hope you enjoyed the chapter!💗)