Chapter twenty five

The wind whipped past Hawk. The ground beneath him was starry and soft. He knew it wasn't the same rock he had fallen asleep on, he knew he was dreaming.

He opened his eyes as a scent he knew all to well filled his nostrils. "Sky?" He raised to his paws. He hadn't seen her since the day she was killed, and that felt like forever ago.

Her pelt was filled with shining stars. Her bright blue eyes held a new light, one Hawk had never seen. She looked younger, healthier, happier. She dipped her head in greeting.

Hawk could feel tears on his face. "Oh Sky! I don't know what to do! Since Talon made me leader after he died, I've just felt so lost. It all happened so fast!"
Sky sat beside him and wrapped her tail around him as though he was a kit. "Why? Why did you let her kill you? You didn't deserve it!"

Sky's eyes darkened. "Hawk, i have done many, many terrible things in my life. Some would say I was as bad as Glowstar." She paused. Hawk could practically feel the memories rolling off of her. "It was only a matter of time before it caught up with me."

Hawk only stared at her. "You're nothing like her." He mewed "whatever you did is nothing compared to her actions."

"If I hadn't done what I did, she would have come faster. She wanted me, and she got me. You have time to attack now."

Hawk looked at her with a wide eyes. "What? Don't you remember what happened last time?" Hawk shuddered at the memories.

Sky laid her tail across his back. "Don't worry, I'll be here to guide you." Her voice faded, though her scent stayed and continued to engulf him.

***

Hawk stirred in his nest. The pheasant feathers tickled his nose. Tawny laid calmly beside him, her belly rising and falling in a soothing pattern.
Hawk opened his eyes, seeing the sun cast its rays across the camp. He glanced around the covered ledge, half expecting to see Sky. But the reality of everything came rushing back to him, as did his dream. He quickly lifted his head, wondering when would be okay to leave with Tawny sleeping so close to him. He didn't have long to wonder, when she began to stir to. She looked up at him with one eye open.

"What're you doin up so early?" She yawned.

Hawk purred. "It's a little over sunrise." He mewed, nudging her. She stretched and flexed her claws.

"I feel like hunting. Should I take a few cats to hunt?" She mewed.

Hawk nodded. "That's fine. I have to check on something with Feather."

Tawny cast a side glance at him. "Is everything alright?"

"Don't worry, I just have a few questions." He mewed. She seemed reassured, as she made her way down the ledge to collect cats. Hawk stayed for a moment longer, before standing and making his way to the Healers den.
Inside peak slept beside Sagepaw, and Feather pulled herbs and berries out, searching for something. She turned to him as he came into view.

"Yes?" She asked. "Make it quick, Neon has bad aches in his joints."

"Sky visited me." He said. Feather's eyes widened.

"And?"

"She says we must attack Shadowclan." Feather dug her claws into the ground.

"When?" She mewed. Fear edged her voice. Hawk could tell she was dreading his answer.

"Soon. Very soon." He replied. Truth be told he didn't know when Sky wanted him to lead them into battle, but by the urgency in her voice he knew she meant as soon as possible.
Feather gave no reply. She only watched her herb store as though it would sprout legs and run away if she didn't.