Chapter twenty three

Peak's tail swished across to his front paws. "What do you need, Hawk?"

"Okay. . ." Hawk sucked in a breath. "So. . . I had a dream. ."

Peak's ears twitched. "And?"

"Faith told me something. Something that I hope you and Feather could help me with."

"Well, go on. What'd she say?" Peak leaned closer. Hawk shook his pelt.

"She said-"

"Hawk! Peak! My den! Now!" Feather screeched to them. Her paws skidded on the dirt as she scurried to the Healer's den. He she-cat's outburst caused the cats around them to stare.

Peak looked at Hawk and blinked. "Well. That's convenient."

The two toms made their way into the den. Talon was still asleep, while Feather paced back fourth, mumbling to herself.

"Um.. Feather? You okay?" Hawk questioned.

Feather shook her head violently. "No! Not at all!"

"Oh. That's reassuring." Peak grumbled. "Feather, Hawk has something to ask u-"

"Of course he does! Of course he's found something out! Who's visited you Hawk? What did they say? Whatever they told you to do don't do it!" Feather's normally calm eyes were large with fright.

Hawk took a step back. "How did you know I had a visit?"

"Because that's what always happens to cats like you!" She hissed and narrowed her eyes. "Cats who don't deserve bad things to happen to them! Who are innocent!"

Hawk heard Leap begins to stir, but Feather remained glaring at Hawk. The fur on her neck stood on end, and her tail whipped violently back and forth.

"Feather," Peak began cautiously, as though he was speaking to an angered Dark Forest cat. "This isn't Hawk's fault, and what prophecy are you talking about?" He asked in a hushed voice.

Feather's fur began to flatten, and her claws retracted. Her tail still swung back and forth, but not as much as before.

"I-I don't know exactly what. . . But I know. Mint told me something." Peak's ears flicked at the mention of the small healer. Feather looked up at him. "Peak, I think we must visit the Star Stone."

"Star Stone? You mean like the Moonpool?"

"Well. . sort of. It's where we can talk to our ancestors directly. It just isn't used by the clans."

Hawk blinked. "Oh. Okay."

"We only go there to introduce new Healers, or when we need to talk to our ancestors directly." Peak informed him. Hawk only nodded.

Feather still seemed shaken up. And she continued her pacing.

"Wait, what about Talon?" Hawk asked suddenly. Feather stopped and blinked at him, as though just remembering her patient. She glanced at the injured Tom.

The healer clawed the ground in frustration. "Mouse-dung!" She narrowed her eyes. "I'll ask Honey to watch him. She's helped me out before." Feather declared.

Hawk nodded. "I'm. . . I'm gonna go check on Tawny. . or. . something. ." He mewed, turning to push past the ivy.

Everything seemed to suddenly hit at once. He was the one to save them? Him? He was just a simple Tom cat! There wasn't anything special about him! What could he possibly do to save his friends?