Chapter twenty-six

"Everyone! Gather beneath me!" Hawk called out. The cats in the clearing clumped together. Their ears were pricked as they gazed intently at Hawk. "First there's something I need to do. . Sagepaw, step forward!"

Sagepaw blinked at him, slowly rising to her paws. "I may not be a clan leader, but I believe you deserve your warrior name. I know you have fought well, and helped us in our time of need. The cats of The Forgotten thank you for that. Which is why, from this day forward, you will be known as Sagerain. We honor you for your courage."

Hawk jumped down, nuzzling his sister as the cats around him yowled her new name. They weren't friends of the clans, but Hawk guessed they knew what it meant to his sister. Peak weaved through the cats, brushing against Sagerain fondly as soon as she pulled away from Hawk.
Hawk glanced behind the two, seeing Feather sit further back with a distasteful face. He wondered if she disagreed with Peak and Sagerain's relationship, he had never heard her openly express her thoughts on them.

As the cats of The Forgotten died down, scrambled back up to the ledge. "There is something else." He began, gaining their attention once more. "Sky visited me last night. Her message was that we just attack Shadowclan as soon as possible."
The cats' eyes below him widened, and almost at once they began speaking.

"Sky visited you?"

"What do you mean we must attack soon?"

"What about my kits!"

"Can we afford another battle?"

Their voices rang out and up to Hawks ears. He looked down, wondering if he had even mentioned the idea. Scanning the crowd, he caught Tilly's eyes. His foster mother's eyes were narrowed. She stood, giving her pelt a shake. Hawk felt his heart drop. Was she going to disagree with him? Or be angered?

"I know that since Sky died things haven't been the same." She rasped. Hawk only just noticed how much age had affected her. "I was here when Sky first came to us, as were some of you. I helped train her when I wasn't with my kits." She mewed. Puddles, her daughter, leaned against her as she spoke. "Megan, Sky's mentor, died protecting Sky from Shadowclan. Sky died protecting all of us from Glowstar. Are we going to let them die for nothing? To let Spots and Talon die for nothing? To let Sparks die for nothing?" The cats around her listened intently.
Hawk remembered the death of the two Heirs, but the name Sparks caught his attention. He figured the cat must have died from Shadowclan before he had arrived.

Heart stepped forward. "She's right. Sky clearly wants us to end this. We can't let them die for no true reason!" Honey wrapped her tail around the she-cat, nodding her agreement.

"We've got to do something!" Rose yowled. "They died for this!"

Hawk brightened as the rest joined in. He felt pride that this was the group of cats he was leading. This was who he would fight both beside and for.