It also made me feel slightly guilty because I almost kissed Becca. Which I was trying to force myself to forget because I could never go there. It'd never happen.

"What's up?" I asked her, wondering why she just showed up.

Maddison shrugged. We stayed in silence then, I just didn't know what to say. The more time that passed, the awkward it got and when I thought of something to say, Aunt Cecil opened the front door.

"Asha," She said, she had a light jacket on, car keys in one hand and her wallet in the other. "We're out of ice cream."

I frowned at her. "You're going to get ice cream now? Aunt Ceci, what—"

"You know the rules..." She said, using her 'mothering' voice. I watched her go after she said bye to Maddison.

"What's the rule?" Maddison asked me, watching Aunt Ceci get in her car.

"No ice cream, no movie," I explained. "It's more of a thing she used to do with my mum. Sort of like tradition. They'd always watch sad movies and eat ice cream. It's dumb. I think she still does it because she wants to keep it alive, the memories and such."

"Why doesn't she get along with Lottie's mum?"

I snorted "Have you met aunt Jeanine?" I asked her, Maddie shook her head. "They're very different and Cecil's 13 years younger than aunt Jeanine, so there's also that. Mum and Cecil were closer because Mum was patient with aunt Cecil, I guess."

"Siblings..." Maddison said as if it somehow that explained it all. "Can we go to your room?"

My throat dried up at her question.

"Er, yeah, sure, of course." I shook my head at my own stupid tone but I got up and headed inside, Maddison trailing after me.

I was slightly nervous. I don't know why but the closer we got to my room, the more anxious I became.

Maddison sat on my bed, facing my closet. Its doors were opened and the mess inside was unbelievable. I quickly closed the doors, Maddison smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. Something was up with her.

"Has Danny ever told you how I came out?" Her voice was low.

"Nope," I answered, resting my back against the closet. "We never really—"

"Talked about me? Yeah, neither did we," She sighed, "when I came out to my parents, I literally came out of a closet with a big poster that said Surprise! They were in silence for like two minutes."

I smiled at her words, imagining Maddison jumping out of a closet. "And then?"

"And then neither of them cared." Her voice was flat and void of emotion, "Not in like oh okay, you're gay way, it was more of a whatever way. They just don't care."

That was when I understood what this was about. Her parents. Her lack of emotion was there to hide how much she actually cared. Maddison was almost as good as Becca when it came to hiding her emotions but if you paid attention, you could see it. It was the way she spoke, the way she said: "They just don't care." She might've not said it but I heard it. What she meant to say was: they don't care about me.

"Maddie—" Before I could say anything at all, Maddison rushed off my bed and within seconds, her body was pressed against mine and her lips were wildly overtaking mine.

My eyes opened wide. It wasn't that she was a bad kisser or that I wasn't into it but I just wasn't expecting it.

Once my body relaxes, I kissed her back with just as much hunger as she kissed me.