CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

CHPATER TWENTY SEVEN

"Why would you question the necklace?" Nick's eyebrows knot together as he tries to come up with an answer.
"Nick, you just confirmed that the necklace turns red when the person wearing it is being lied to. When Owen expressed how grateful he is for the help I provided the pack, my necklace turned red. Please help me understand it, because I certainly cannot." I pant as I scream in my friend's face.
"You are right, something is definitely wrong." Nick gives me a thoughtful look.
"What do you think?" I turn to his older brother.
"The necklace does not lie, it has been in our family for centuries, and never once did it mislead the one wearing it." Joshua gapes at the necklace around my neck in deep thought.
"Maybe it is being inaccurate because I do not share your blood?" I too look down at the piece of jewelry.
"No, I granted it to you willingly, and since I am a Fairchild, the necklace should be loyal to you."
"Then why did it glow red?" I start to grow frustrated with all the answered questions that keep emerging out of smoke.
"I can only think of one explanation. However, it can be considered as an unforgivable accusation if it is wrong or if we fail to prove it." Joshua sits by the living room's window.
"What do you mean brother?"
"Owen must have lied to Shadow, which means he is not our friend or our alley." The witch gives his brother and I his back as he stares at the nature beyond.
"You are right, it is an inexcusable accusation. Thus, we cannot share it with anyone, not even Xander." Nick throws a piece of wood in the fireplace.
"So you plan to lie to him?" I give my witch friend a disappointed glare.
"Yes Shadow, because I do not know if you noticed, but Xander is the kind of alpha to trust every member of his pack. If we go to him with this kind of impeachment he will not believe us unless we have a proof. It will not matter that he regards us as his family, he will not believe it." Joshua tells me.
As I digest the witch's words, I can see that he has a point. Alec seems to be like me; he does not relinquish his trust in others unless there is a valid proof.
"So, what do we do?" I ask bitterly not liking the fact that I will have to lie to Alec even though I know that it is the right thing to do.
"We will have to find a way to support our claim before we go to anyone." Nick replies.
"You sound like a literary student." I chuckle. Immediately, the air in the room becomes a little lighter as they both smile at my senseless joke.
"Seriously though, do you think that Owen is somehow for some reason betraying Alec?" I dare ask the one question that neither one of the men before me dare to say out loud.
"I really do not want to consider it, but it seems to be the only thing that makes sense." Joshua moves away from the window and sits next to me on the couch.
"If he is against us, then we have been playing a losing game, because he must have been spying on us." Nick places his hand on the wall above the fireplace as he glares at the burning wood.
"Can we please not talk about him anymore, even remembering his face gives me chills." I shudder.
"I thought you no longer wore the necklace." Nick fulfills my wish, and changes the subject.
"When I woke up from the coma, it was under my pillow, but I actually only wore it before the ceremony, so that if I get cold feet I can easily turn invisible and run to my room." I say the second part in shame as I look down at my lap.
Both witches laugh at me. Thus, I take one of my boots off and I throw it at Nick's head. Joshua chuckles at his brother's face as he rubs the back of his head. His amusement vanishes, however, when he sees me take off my second boot.
"Shadow, do not be an idiot." He puts both his arms before him to protect his face. Consequently, I throw it at his stomach which has him grunting.
Honey, where are you? Alec's voice appears in my head cutting my fun short.
I am in Joshua's house. Is everything alright?
Can you along with the brothers come to the dungeons? He answers my question with one of his own.
I have no idea where that is.
The brothers do, come here as fast as you can, and whatever you do, do not leave Josh and Nick's side, okay honey?
Okay.
I find his request rather bizarre, but I decide that the faster the conversation is over, the faster I can get to the dungeons and know what is wrong.
Good.
He cuts off the link.
"Alec wants all three of us to head to the dungeons right away." I inform the two men in the room.
"Why would he want us to go there?" Nick asks, although it is lucid that he does not expect to receive an answer.
"Well, whatever it is, it has him acting weird."
"Fantastic, let us go then, we would not want the alpha to wait for us." Joshua leads us out of the house.