Chapter Fifteen: Feels great, baby

I touch down in Tampa and smile. I'm so ecstatic.

Katie picks me up from the airport and drives me to the hotel.

"You look brand new!" She smiles helping me with my bags.

"I feel brand new too. Monterey was exactly what I needed."

"I'm so happy babe." She says giving me another hug. "How did the court stuff go?"

"My dad handled all of that but with the money Royce has he got community service." I shrug.

"Well you have a whole football team and coaching staff at your disposal if he ever tries to come near you."

"I appreciate that." I smile. "But I did get a restraining order against him so he won't be coming around."

"I'm glad, because if he tries anything, he'll be sorry."

"Very sorry." I agree as I hang my outfit for tomorrow up.

"Hey the team is having like a little cookout/kickback tonight." She says getting my attention.

"Tonight, where?"

"Yeah just outside actually if you take the pathway in the back of the hotel you'll see it. You should come. I know the guys would love to see you."

"I'll think about it." I nod.

"Starts at 6." She says before leaving my room. Leaving me alone with my thoughts.

My phone has been blowing up with everyone asking if I'm going to the thing. I don't know. What if I get overwhelmed? What if things are different. All these what ifs are driving me crazy! I dial my therapists number.

"Hello?"

"I can't do this."

"Em?"

"Yeah. I'm here and there's a team event thing and I don't know if I should go."

"Honey it's okay, just breathe." Her voice soothes me and I get it together.

"I'm going." I firmly say. "And I am going to look so good."

"That's the spirit! Go get ready let me know how it goes."

"Okay thank you!" I sigh happily before hanging up.

I spend a couple hours getting ready and decide on a two piece floral outfit. I'm back to small outfits, and I love it. I wave my hair out and apply some makeup.

It's time

It's time. I grab the small bottle of tequila from the bar and chug it. Oh my god let's fucking gooooo.

The step up is beautiful. There's fairy lights strung up and tiki torches in a huge square outline. There's a ton of waiters and chairs and tables. I've been alone for two months so this is overwhelming. I realize we'll be stepping on sand the whole time so wearing heels was stupid.

I look around and notice the players are dressed super causal, my dad is even wearing shorts, oh my god I over dressed.

"EMERAUDE!" George yells getting my attention. "You're here! I thought your post was bullshit!" He picks me up and spins me around excitedly making me laugh.

"Of course I'm here! I did all of the work." I tease.

"You're absolutely right! Did you just get in?"

"No, I've been here for a couple hours and Katie invited me to this."

"That's great, you hungry?"

"Yeah actually."

"Emeraude?" I hear from behind me. The voice makes my stomach drop and heart speed up. I look up at George who has a huge smile on his face. He raises his eyebrow encouraging me to turn around.

"Hi." I say turning around to come face to face with Jimmy.

"When did you get in? We all thought the post was for the media." He breathlessly says.

"Just today actually." I nervously say.

"Y'all have a lot to unpack, I'm gonna go pretend to be busy." George butts in before walking away slowly.

He stares down at me with a smile that could make me cry.

"You look...different." He finally says.

"I didn't know what to wear, this was like the third thing I tried on Katie didn't say it was casua— wait what are you laughing?" I ask, feeling a little insecure.

"That's not what I meant." He clarifies.

"Oh." I whisper. "What did you mean?"

"You look healthy."

"I've come a long way." I smile.

"You look like you did when you sent me to run two miles." He says making me smile at the ground.

"Don't test me today." I tease. Seeing him smile brings me an unbelievable joy, like feeling the warm sun on my skin after a storm.

"Would you like a drink?" He asks.

"Tequila, double please." I nod and he goes to the bar. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and I see George staring at me.

"Oh shut up." I say when I see him wink and give me a thumbs up.

Jimmy comes back with two shots in his hands.

"No lime?" I nervously ask.

"Can't handle it?" He mocks.

"Oh baby I can. I was worried about you." I wink before taking the shot.

"Thought we were gonna cheers it, but this works too." He smiles before drinking his.

My dad comes out and takes me away. The next hour is us going around congratulating the players and staff. I can't believe we're back. I hoped they would but now it's a reality. I step away to the bar ordering a cosmo.

"Wanna take a walk?" Jimmy asks, sliding next to me.

"Now?" I ask as I'm handed my drink.

"Yeah, I kinda got a curfew tonight." He sighs. I laugh at his tone and sad eyes before nodding.

"I'd love a walk." I smile following him beyond the party area and onto the shore. I kick my heels off and he takes his shoes off rolling his jeans up before he holds my hand and we step on the damp sand.

"Oh congratulations."

"For what?" He asks.

"Uhhhh getting back to the Super Bowl.." I awkwardly say.

"Oh yeah, no shit sorry I don't know where my head is." He laughs. "But thank you."

"How's it feel?" I ask with a smirk. He turns to look at me questioningly. I raise my eyebrows in anticipation wanting to hear him say it.

"Kiss me and I'll tell you." He says catching me by surprise. I shake my head as I smile.

I chug the rest of my drink and catch him by surprise when put my arms around his neck. I stand on my tippy toes leaning forward reaching for his lips. He lowers his head, kissing me gently.

"It feels great, baby." He whispers centimeters away from my face. Yeah it does.