✨Chapter Eight✨

Edited 4/21/20

"Erik!" I yelled when I got home. I looked in the kitchen and saw a note on the table. That's odd. Why didn't he just text me? I looked at the note.

Devyn, At the Lotus Diner. See you around 7.
    -Erik

I pulled out my phone and saw I had 4 new messages from Chris.

2:07 DEVYN, I KNOW WHY KYLE WAS MAD. TEXT ASAP!
3:15 DEV, GET BACK TO ME NOW
4:30 DEVYN GET TO THE LOTUS DINER NOW!
5:OO OH MY GOD DEVYN PLEASE GET THIS MESSAGE!
5:02 MISSED CALL FROM CHRISTINA

The last message was sent at five and it's 5:04. I ran out the door and got in Aunt Valery's car since she was here, just asleep. I drove straight to The Lotus.

When I got there I saw Christina standing outside the diner looking really upset. I got out of my car and made my way over to her.

"Hey Chris what's..." I started but was cut off by her wrapping herself around me in a hug. When she pulled away, she started to explain.

"Erik and I were hanging out at your house when Kyle came barging in with a black eye and a cut lip. Erik tried to ask what happened, but Kyle wouldn't say anything— and I mean anything—with me in the room, so him and Erik stepped away and I caught a little of their conversation." She smiled coyly. That's why she's my best friend.

"Well?" I pressed.

"Devyn, Kyle is a professional fighter. One of the best." Now I'm confused.

"What does that have to do with what's going on?"

"Follow me." She said, grabbing my wrist, leading me like a child.

We walked next door to the training dojo. She led me to the back and led us through the crowd of people huddled around a fighting ring where Kyle and a light haired dark Arizona tanned boy getting ready to fight. I know that boy. There is only one person here with an Arizona tan other than me.

"Kasen?" I asked. He turned to look at me and his eyes widened so much I thought his eyes were going to fall out of his sockets. He looked between me and Kyle as if he was deciding which was more important: explaining what the hell is he doing or fighting Kyle anyway.

"Let's get this over with Mason. Beating your ass should be easy since I've done it for the past 3 years." He said with his eyes never leaving mine until the last minute. I could see the apology and guilt written all over Kasen's face, but I ignored it and did the one thing I've always done. I ran.

I don't know if Christina tried to follow me or if Erik did, but at this moment I didn't care. I walked out of the dojo and sat down on the bench outside the dojo. I just sat there stunned. Kasen, my best friend for 3 years, fights? I must have been so out of it that it wasn't until Kasen came out of the dojo and started screaming that I realized I had zoned out entirely.

I looked to my right and saw Kameron and Kasen about to go at it. I looked to my left and saw Erik and Christina bringing Kyle out of the dojo. Seeing the way Kyle looked it made me flinch. Kasen did all that? I ran over to Kasen and tried to stop him from starting something he didn't want to start. (In hindsight, I could have tried to stop him better but at the time my mind was blurred). I went to stop him by running right between them. By the time I made it into his line of vision, his fist had made contact with my jaw. I heard screams from all around as the world I once was able to see faded to black.

===

"Hey, guys, I think she's finally coming back." I heard a voice before I saw the person. My eyes fluttered open. I took in what I saw before me. Which wasn't much since someone's fat head was in my line of vision.