✨Chapter Eighteen✨

Edited 5/7/20

"Senior Prom? As in dressing up and spending the night dancing in heels until my ankles break?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, sounds right. But Princess, you don't have to wear heels if you don't want to." He said and I let out a very unladylike snort. I quickly covered my mouth but the damage was done. Kyle busted out laughing and my face got red and hot. After a couple of minutes he got serious again and looked at me. "What do you say about prom?" He asked.

"Fine. But if Sara or Christina comes near me with a pair of stilettos I'll murder someone." I said in my most jokingly serious voice.

"Sometimes you scare me, Princess." He said. We settled into a comfortable silence.

"Are you taking the NYU scholarship?" He asked me after a while. Thinking of college brings the conversation we had about his college acceptances back to my head.

After a long day of shopping, we were both grateful to be back in Kyle's room. I sighed in contentment as I grabbed his hand. He reluctantly let me lead him to the bed as I placed the bags on the floor in front of the closet. Kyle sighed and laid down. His head was on my legs, using them as a pillow. He closed his eyes and after a few minutes I thought he fell asleep. I started to play with his hair and I heard him sigh with content.

"Princess?" He asked me, his eyes still closed.

"Hmm?" I was twirling his hair in my fingers.

"You know I love you right?" he asked me and without missing a beat I instantly replied.

"Yeah. I never said I doubted you. Why are you asking?" I asked as he turned his head to look at the table beside his bed. I followed his gaze and saw three envelopes there. I picked up all four.

"New York University... Harvard... Yale... USC (California) Kyle, these are all acceptance letters. When did you get these?" I asked him.

"This morning. I didn't expect to get into any of them." He said to me and it finally registered in my mind that he applied to colleges away from Georgia. Despite the tears already forming in my eyes, I told him the one thing I knew would make him feel better about his decisions.

"Whatever you pick, just know I'm happy you made it, not only to one college, but to four." I said as one traitorous tear fell from my eyes. I went to wipe it away but it hit Kyle's face before I could stop it. He opened his eyes and looked at me. I tried to look away before he could notice I had been crying but nothing got past him.

"Baby, look at me." He said as he sat up and moved to where he was beside me. "Please, Devyn, look at me." He pleaded, using my full name. I looked over at him and started crying even more.

"Dev, why're you crying?" He asked, making me look at him in pure horror. Did he honestly just ask that?

"You really don't know?" I asked, laughing humorously. When he shook his head no, I got up.

"Where're you going, baby?" he asked. I sniffed once and replied.

"I'm going to see Erik. I'm sorry Kyle, but-," I started but I was cut off by him pulling me back down and onto his lap. I was about to say something when he silenced all my rebuttals by placing his lips on mine. I didn't hesitate to kiss back. His hands went to my hips and I wrapped my hands in his hair. His tongue grazed my lip, asking for entrance, which I gladly allowed. I moved to where I was straddling him. His grip on my waist tightened as I pulled away, breathless.

"I don't have to go. I can stay here, with you." He said as he rested his forehead against mine.

"Yes, you do. You have to go. It's college for crying out loud. I mean, these are once in a lifetime opportunities." I told him even though the thought of him leaving broke my heart into a million pieces.