22 :: true feelings & careful lies

Start from the beginning

"It's not ruining anything," He said, "and if you're tired, I really don't mind watching the girls for a couple hours." At that, Hyejung set the spatula on the counter, her shoulders rising and falling along with her breath.

"Is everything okay?" He lifted an eyebrow when he noticed her shoulders shook, hoping he didn't hurt her or anything because if he did, Jeongguk would kill him.

Hyejung turned around, her lips pressed into a trembling smile, confusing Taehyung even more. "I can see why my brother likes you a lot."

"What?" Taehyung frowned a little. Hyejung nodded, turning off the stove with a gentle grin.

"Jeongguk never brings people home," Hyejung started. Taehyung wasn't so sure where this was going. "He doesn't trust anyone enough to be around his sisters, or even meet them."

Hyejung returned to her finished cooking, plating the pancakes onto a plate for Taehyung. He watched her expression soften when their eyes met, and the smile she wore tightened but not in a fake way. It was one of gratitude, relief.

"Gguk's afraid people won't care about them, and they only seem like it just so they can get him to date them," Hyejung said, handing them to him. He thanked her quietly, waiting on her words.

"He dated his fair share of shallow people."

"Jeongguk's never mentioned that before," He murmured, remembering that he thought Jeongguk was one of those people. It was different now, of course; he didn't think that.

But he did remember what Jeongguk said about never mentioning his family. He wondered about all the people in the past who tried to get to him by his sisters— must have been frustrating to like a person only to find out they were just trying to use you for the popularity.

It must hurt to realize somebody you truly liked back only returned those feelings to use you. Taehyung didn't know why his heart clenched, but he tried his best to ignore it.

He wasn't using Jeongguk, right? There was no need to feel guilty. That would be ridiculous.

"He doesn't like talking about his time doing that," Hyejung said, joining his side by the island with a plate of her own. "But enough of that. Him bringing you here means you matter a lot to him."

"Well, I kinda brought him here myself," He chuckled, trying to push aside his thoughts while drenching his pancakes with syrup.

"True, but he hasn't tried to hide you, so that's a good sign," Hyejung let out a laugh. It was airy and light, and it sounded more like a snort.

"He trusts you enough not to hurt him." But do I trust myself enough to not hurt him?

"Thank you? But I think you're reading too much into this," Taehyung tried to joke around, but as he forked a slice of soggy pancake into his mouth, his throat tightened. "We're just friends."

"Oh, I know that," Hyejung rolled her eyes, but the smile on her face eased him. "He always insists you're friends everytime I call him. I've heard the word 'pal' and 'best friend' so much it hurts."

"Really now?" Taehyung struggled to swallow as his cheeks flooded with warmth. Hyejung nodded.

"I'm aware that you two are friends. No need to remind me, or yourselves. But to be honest, if you are friends, you shouldn't be constantly saying it out loud to confirm it," Hyejung pointed out.