21 :: road trips & home

Start from the beginning

"Hyejung? The oldest sister. If you're wondering, she's with the little ones. Your aunt went to the hospital with your mom," Taehyung said, and when Jeongguk didn't say anything he cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry if I overstepped," He added quietly. "I know you don't like talking about your family—,"

"—Thank you, Tae," Jeongguuk murmured, catching him off guard. "But can I ask how you got into my phone?" At that, Taehyung's cheeks warmed up.

"Y-your password was simple," He grumbled, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "It was your jersey number and the year you're joining the Olympics. 1220."

"Oh, I see," Jeongguk chuckled. Did he chuckle? The older didn't know but hopefully it was. Sounded more like a choking noise though. Was he dying?

God, he was probably freaking out again. He just couldn't help it, especially because this was one of those rare situations where Jeongguk wasn't happy, and it didn't feel right when one of them was sad.

The car fell silent again, and while the car stopped, he decided that maybe it wouldn't hurt to look at him. And he did, stealing a quick glance to make sure he was all in one piece.

Jeongguk's eyes were still red and slightly swollen, a hiccup slipping past his lips every now and then. He was staring out his window, fingers twiddling on his lap. At least he wasn't crying, but Taehyung knew he was probably worrying.

He was always worrying— that was something he realized about Jeongguk in the three months they spent together. People thought he was all arrogant and self-centered when it was quite the opposite.

The real Jeongguk cared. He cared about every little detail no matter how insignificant you thought it was because to him, it meant everything. He worried if you didn't eat, or if you were overworking.

The last person he worried about was himself.

"Um, are you feeling any better?" Taehyung tried to lighten the mood, his grip around the steering wheel easing as they got stuck in more dumb traffic.

"Define better," Jeongguk murmured, and for a second, Taehyung thought he messed up, but one look at him, he seemed to be alright. He wasn't that used to a sad Jeongguk, really.

"Do you wanna hear a joke?" He cleared his throat when Jeongguk didn't say anything else. He didn't want to force him to talk— his mom had a stroke— but he didn't want to lose him.

"What do you call a donkey with three legs?"

"I don't know, handicapped?" Okay, so sad Jeongguk didn't have a sense of humor. Taehyung loosened his shoulders, guessing this was his chance to 'cheer' him up like he did for him.

"Nope," He turned to look at him, fixing a smile on his lips. Jeongguk raised an eyebrow at him. "It's called a Wonkey."

"I— I don't know whether to open this door and just barrel roll out or just end our friendship," Jeongguk said, but Taehyung noticed the way the edge of his lip twitched.

He was close. Close to seeing him smile again.

"You know, at home, I got a hen who regularly counts her eggs," Jeongguk groaned, leaning back in his seat, hands covering his face. Taehyung bit down on his lips, unable to hold his smile back.