[12]

Irina's department had so far been progressing smoothly. She had a few of her own projects underway which were nearing completion. But recently Lex had asked her assistance for one of his own projects; a modified technosuit.

Despite the fact that she had agreed to help and assisted them through the problems they were stuck on, Lex refused to tell her anything more than necessary regarding his current project. And she couldn't help but feel a bit suspicious about that.

But as she too was keeping her vigilante routine a secret from her father, she decided not to probe further.

As usual, when she stepped out in the city as a vigilante, night had fallen and the alleys were mostly empty. But she had been patrolling the city for almost a month now and knew well that even though apparently nothing sinister was happening, still somewhere in the city her presence would be required.

She was passing through Crime Alley when she saw a red helmet gleaming in the dark. Red Hood, one of the Bat vigilantes she had heard of but not yet met face to face, was smuggling some food out of a supermarket.

Before he could make his escape, she stepped out of the shadows, stopping him in his tracks.

"Ah I finally meet the center of Red Robin's attentions. The name's Red Hood and pleased to make your acquaintance," he shifted the bundle into the other hand as he held one out towards her but she made no attempt to take it.

"And here I thought only the criminals were responsible for shoplifting."

He chuckled though his voice was muffled due to the helmet, "hey, don't accuse me. I left enough money on the counter, probably even more than the cost of this stuff."

"That still doesn't justify your reason to commit a crime," she remarked.

"Actually, there is plenty of reason," he shrugged, and would have stepped out of the way if she hadn't put an arm out to block him, "what? You don't believe me? Come, I'll show you then."

She was a bit skeptical but followed as he traipsed down the cobblestoned path, going further in until they reached an almost tumbled down shed. He tapped at the door thrice and soon after, a kid opened up. 

"Hood!" a smile danced on his face on seeing him as he turned back, "Mum, he's here."

She followed him inside and saw that a family was huddled together in the shed, a woman with three kids that clung to her. The one who had opened the door was the eldest and helped Red Hood to place down all that he had brought.

Seeing the food, their faces lit up and Irina couldn't bring herself to condemn Red Hood for shoplifting.

"See," he turned to face her.

"But could you not have bought it all during the day and..."

"I could have, to be honest," he replied, the light chuckle resonating again, "but then there would be no fun in it. Look, my ways of helping out people are a bit different than yours and as long as you don't interfere in mine, I won't interfere either."

She looked back at the family who were gratefully eating from the bundle Hood had brought. She observed how he affectionately ruffled the head of the kid who had opened the door. "So Andy, all good?"

"Brilliant. Thanks, Hood."

"No problem, kiddo." Then facing her, he spoke, "do you want to stay longer or I am sure someone else could use a little bit of your help."

She got the hint behind his words clearly as she stepped out, a small frown on her face, "of course. I'll be on my way."

"Oh and Red Robin told me to say hi. On his behalf."

She turned back, "excuse me?"

"And he also said he would appreciate if you don't tie him upside down from buildings," his remark was punctuated by a rather muffled but distinct laugh.

"Now that was one time, Red Hood, and he was being an insufferable ass. So it served him right to spend half an hour like that."

He held his hands up in surrender, "I didn't tell you not to do it. In fact, I rather enjoy seeing him dangling upside down from buildings, to be honest."

"Whatever."

Little did she know that Red Robin, the Bat vigilante she could barely even stand and ended up in a row with most often, was none other than her damsel Tim Drake in disguise. And judging by how adept Tim was at managing both the identities in front of her, she wasn't going to find out any time soon either.

***