[15]

Tim was lacing up his boots, clad in his vigilante suit, when Richard entered the Batcave. He had not been expecting the boy to return to patrol so soon after the kidnapping, as he asked, "you sure you're feeling better now?"

"Positive," Tim looked up, flashing him a bright smile, "besides a bird can't keep away from soaring in the sky for so long."

"Oh good, finally our Barbie doll decided to gear up," Jason too had entered the cave, "but is it really the night sky you're missing, or is there someone else who you're dying to meet?"

Richard's ears had perked up at that remark, "wait up, what's going on you two?"

"He's got a crush," Jason announced, completely ignoring the pleading looks Tim was sending his way, "and guess who the lucky woman is?"

"The Miss Fake Catwoman," Damian remarked as Tim shot him a glare, "though I wouldn't exactly call her lucky."

He knew the three of them would probably make a huge fuss out of it, "there's nothing of that sort between us. Jay's exaggerating."

"Oh, really? Isn't she the one who has saved your ass so many times now that we've lost count?" Jason gasped dramatically, turning to face him, "and I bet everyone would like to know why you've been wearing turtlenecks for so long."

"Hey..."

"And about what you were up to at New Year's night..."

"Jay, stop," Tim's face had gone crimson, but it seemed as if no one could put a leash on Jason.

"And that epic rescue from ACE chemicals..."

"Hey, that was her too?" Richard spoke up and Jay nodded in affirmation, "now that's true love, Timmy."

"Guys, enough," Tim had gotten flustered as he pulled over his cowl over his head, hiding the scarlet tinge on his face, "I'm only doing what I'm supposed to do. And I want you to stay out of it."

Jay chuckled, "yeah, right... Our little Timmy here is spying on the masked vigilante by becoming her damsel in distress. She saves him when he's in trouble, he develops a friendship with her and bam, they fall in love, trust one another and finally Timmy finds out who she is. Easy as pie."

The sarcasm in his tone was too evident that even Barbara was laughing by then while Richard was eyeing Tim closely as if disappointed that Jay knew so much yet he had been kept in the dark. The only person unaffected by the commotion was Damian who was quickly gobbling up the last bowl of ice cream, hiding away in a corner so that the others wouldn't notice.

"Frankly speaking, Drake, you've chosen a rather stupid strategy that could take years to reach completion, considering the fact that she absolutely loathes your vigilante identity," Damian remarked at last as he had finished and disposed off the ice cream stealthily, "but since you're the dunce of the family, that's expected."

"Does she really hate Red Robin?"

"Of course she hates him," he resumed, fixing his cape, "and I wouldn't blame her because Drake acts like such a douchebag when he's around her as Red Robin."

Tim shook his head, knowing full well that it was impossible to get them to see otherwise, "think whatever you want, I don't care. Now if you've finally retired from annoying me, then I'd remind you all to get your asses back on patrol."

"Oh and tell your girlfriend, Hood said he can't wait to walk her down the aisle," Jay remarked amid a hearty chuckle, his voice trailing off as Tim had already left for the city streets, the red of his suit gleaming in the pale moonlight.

***

Irina was perched up on Gotham Tower, keeping a watch down at the city, when an unmistakable flash of red zoomed past her and she groaned in annoyance, realizing that it was Red Robin.

"Hello there, sweetheart. Long time no see," he remarked, perching beside her but she threw him off. Luckily for him, he had been prepared as he steadied himself, swinging agilely from his grapple hook that was fastened onto a gargoyle.

"Red Robin, what a not so pleasant surprise," she mumbled in reply, "the city was so much peaceful without your presence."

He chuckled lightly, "ah come on, my presence brightens it up on the contrary."

"Alright, it has been a pain talking to you. Now leave." Her reply was straightforward though a bit rude. But in her defense, she could simply not tolerate his constantly irritating presence.

On the other hand, Tim secretly enjoyed their banters. As Tim Drake he was a completely different person with her; a little shy, easily intimidated and really sweet.

But under cover of his vigilante identity, he could vent out his feelings differently by being obnoxious, annoying and highly flirtatious. Three of the aspects that had made her intensely hate Red Robin. And it worked in his favor since that way she could never associate him with her friend Tim Drake, so his secret was in no danger of getting exposed.

"So are you on a stake out?" he asked, perching beside her once again though not giving her a chance to push him off.

She huffed as she stood up, "I was but not anymore."

"Why?"

"Because I'm leaving."

"Too soon, Ren. Can't we chat up like old buddies who met after summer break?" He remarked but soon as he realized the word that had slipped out of his mouth, his face paled though it wasn't visible due to the cowl covering his features.

He had accidentally called her Ren. And as a result, right next moment, he was dangling from Gotham Tower with merely his hand gripped in hers as she looked down at him threateningly.

By her stance, it was clear that she would drop him any minute.

"What did you just say?"

She had heard him very clear and the suspicion settled in her heart because that term of endearment was known specifically to her aunt and to a certain damsel in distress.

"Shit," he mumbled under his breath and as expected, she let go of his hand, bright red descending into eternal darkness.

He managed not to get hurt by the fall through grasping the outward slab of a window that jutted out from the tower, then slowly swinging himself down to the ground.

But he knew that a little slip of the tongue had made her suspicious regarding him. And any wrong move could risk in totally exposing the secret Bruce and the others had worked so hard to keep hidden.

***