[06]

Night had tightened its hold over Gotham when she lifted the latch of the trap door that she had discovered in her room. It opened up on the roof and she had realized that it was probably an addition her aunt had made back in the days she lived there.

Irina had spent long waiting for that moment. She was clad in a leather suit that covered her body fully. It was padded underneath to provide cushioning against hits or falls, plus she had concealed about fifteen knives at various positions in her suit in order to use in her defense if the need arose.

A utility belt was fastened round her hips from which a grapple gun was hanging. She had tested both the grapple gun and the knives that slid out for use but still remained attached to the suit.

A cold gust of air struck her as she stepped out into the roof, placing a mask over her face to conceal her identity. She was finally going to step out in Gotham as a vigilante for the first time.

Over the past few weeks, she had kept her focus on only two things. The first was preparations for her department to get started within LexCorp and the other was her own training sessions. She had trained day and and night in the gymnasium that had been set up soon after she had given Miss Gibson the list. And by that time she was ready to embark on her mission.

Using her grapple gun, she left Luthor Mansion and made her way to the inner parts of the city. Her suit had been designed to help her blend into the shadows so she proceeded cautiously, keeping a keen eye out for any sort of trouble.

Gotham had an intricate network of darkened alleys, so she kept her head very clear in order to not forget her sense of direction. She was sure though that the next night would be easier than the first as she carefully memorized all the pathways.

Soon enough she had reached the Bowery, a place famous for crime and sinister dealings. She kept in the shadows as she advanced forward and found her first case.

A young girl was struggling helplessly against a man who had pushed her up to the brick wall in the far corner of the alley. He had clamped his hand over her mouth in order to stifle her cries for help while his other hand was prying over her, tugging at the band of her jeans.

Irina knew instantly what she had to do. She sneaked up behind the man and in a swift move she had seized him in a headlock, holding a knife close to his throat. Before he could even retaliate, she had spun him and jammed him headfirst into the wall, her knee colliding with his back forcefully.

The girl stood there awestruck, her eyes wide and her face tear stained. In the meanwhile, the man had been pushed to the ground, the sole of Irina's boot digging in between his shoulder blades.

"Next time you lay a hand on anyone like that, I will cut it off and shove it down your throat," she threatened.

He was squirming in pain as he had definitely not expected to end up like that. And right next moment, Irina had tied his hands behind his back and also bound up his ankles so that he couldn't escape.

"Damn you Bats," he hissed and though the sentence made no sense to her, that girl had rushed forward and held on to her, diverting her attention.

"Thank you so much," she whispered, tears still pouring down her face.

Irina gently hugged her back and spoke, "first let's get this molester behind bars then I'll take you home, okay?"

She nodded, still clutching on to her arm. She was barely sixteen and Irina felt repulsed at that man and kicked him in the stomach again, making him howl in pain.

"Call the police," she gave the girl her phone when she was sure that she had calmed down, "tell them what happened. And don't worry, I'm right here."

Irina let her call the police and soon after the sirens sounded, two mobiles cornering them in the alley. She had retreated to the shadows as the girl explained the situation to the cops who heaved the man up throwing him in the car.

After they had gone, she came out and the girl turned to face her. "Thank you," she breathed again, a relieved look spreading across her features, "you all are the saviors of Gotham."

She was a bit confused why the girl was behaving as if there were more people who did the same thing as she had done, "what do you mean all?"

"The Bat vigilantes. You truly are a blessing to us."

Confusion flickered on her face for a brief moment but she decided to investigate the matter later on. Right then her foremost priority was to get the girl safely to her home. "Do you know your way home from here?"

She nodded in reply so Irina held her hand out and the girl gratefully accepted, walking along with her out of the Bowery.

"My name's Zyra," she spoke up after a considerable while of silence as she seemed to have recovered from the shock, "what's yours?"

Irina smiled gently, shaking her head, "I would prefer not to answer that."

"I didn't mean your real name," Zyra added, "your vigilante name."

"I don't have one," she replied vaguely.

"We've never seen or heard of an anonymous Bat vigilante. Or are you Catwoman's partner? Your suit reminds me of her."

Irina was getting bewildered by every passing minute but she chose not to let her figure that out, "I'm not a Bat vigilante, or whoever you mean by that term, and I'm no one's partner."

They had reached her house so Zyra finally let go of her hand but hugged her once again before going inside, "thank you."

Irina nodded in acknowledgement and waited till the girl had stepped in. Then she left as well, keeping a careful watch on her surroundings.

By what the girl had said, she could guess that there were probably other vigilantes besides her who operated in Gotham. The Bats. And she couldn't wait to find out more about them.

For starters, one of her questions regarding the city had got solved. She was not the only one out there fighting crime. There had already been a group of vigilantes devoted to help out the poor citizens against the criminals who threatened innocent lives every now and then. And that was how Gotham was still intact despite the dreadful influx of crime.

***