[17]

It was yet another patrol night for Irina as she passed through the dark streets of Gotham, keeping in the shadows as usual. Her head was heavy with a thousand thoughts yet she kept a watchful eye on her surroundings.

She had realized that she was indeed falling in love with Tim Drake. Some way or other, he did every single thing that made her attracted to him. His gentle nature, his sweet personality and his certain knack for getting in trouble only made her want to care more for him.

And the fact that he had no idea that she was his boss, Irina Luthor, sometimes made her feel as if she was being unfair to him. Her thoughts were a mess because she was pondering on what to do next with Tim.

She could not keep up the game of hide and seek anymore; it became even more difficult to interact with him as Irina Luthor. And yet she could not let him in on her secret for now she had enemies in Gotham city and she could not allow Tim's life to be at risk due to his friendship with her.

And then there was a whole new doubt in her mind that Red Robin and Tim were one and the same. It was hard for her to think that but the two had the same voice and height and the slip of tongue earlier at a patrol night with Red Robin had somehow deepened her suspicions. And if he truly was Red Robin, then they would be even with both hiding half of their lives from the other.

The only option she had was to eventually withdraw herself from his life if she wanted him to be safe. It did not mean that she was intending to finish her friendship with him. Maybe it was not the time yet to take it to another level. And maybe they would get another chance as their real selves.

"Maybe..." she sighed as she turned to leave the Bowery but stopped upon seeing a group of thugs blocking her way.

"Well, well, we meet again," a creepy voice sounded and the thugs parted to make way for a man dressed in a beige suit. One half of his face was human yet the other was horribly scarred.

"Two Face," she spoke in acknowledgement.

"It must be a pleasant surprise, I hope," he remarked, a menacing smile spreading on his twisted features.

"No doubt," she replied, taking out her escrima sticks and holding them at the ready. She had just added the sticks to her suit and at that moment, she was thankful she had those to defend herself with.

The thugs had started to close in, circling around her as she clearly observed, keeping herself steady yet alert.

"Let the fun begin, Missy. I'm sure you won't be able to escape this time."

***

Red Robin was perched up on Gotham tower, using his binoculars to scour the alleys for any sign of the masked vigilante he had been keeping a watch on. He had still not figured out who she was but knew for certain that her motives weren't bad and she was on the same side as the Bat vigilantes.

There was no sign of her yet he turned around upon hearing a swoosh of wind to see Robin standing behind him, his cape billowing in the wind.

"Robin?"

"Your girlfriend is in trouble," he remarked vaguely.

"What the hell do you mean?" Concern laced his tone for he knew he was referring to Ren.

"I'll give you to hints. Two Face. The Bowery. And you're welcome." 

Tim stared back at him in shock, "fucking crap, Damian, and you did nothing?"

He merely shrugged in reply, "how many times do we have to tell you not to use names on the field? Anyhow, I thought it would be better for you to save her instead of me. Now hurry up, dumbass, or else she'll get killed."

Robin had left but he sure had troubled Tim. Using his grapple gun he made his way to the Bowery as fast as he possibly could, his heart sinking as he feared that it had already gotten too late.

But when he reached the Bowery, the fight was still going on. Ren had tackled most of the men to the ground while she had seized Two Face in a headlock.

She was severely injured herself but refused to let him go though Red Robin noticed the remaining thugs sneaking up on her with their baseball bats, so he dived into the action as well, distracting them away from her.

But in all the time that Tim took to deal with the remaining thugs, Two Face had taken advantage of the fact that she was injured and gotten free from her grip by smashing along with her into a wall.

She fell off him and he straddled her down to the ground. Her vision was distorted and her limbs ached, not allowing her to move away from him. He had grabbed her by the throat but before he could peel off the mask that hid her identity, Red Robin smacked him sharp on the head with his bo staff, aiming another blow in his stomach.

He dropped her, doubling over in pain as he turned to face the attacker. Her head hit the ground with a thud, and she went into a state of subconsciousness, unable to determine whether the fight was still going on or not. 

She struggled to keep her eyes open, willing herself to get up from the ground until she felt her hand being held in a firm grip. Her mind was in a haze as she felt someone lift her from the ground and the last thing she saw was the scarlet hue of Red Robin's suit before her senses extinguished.

***