[20]

An hour had passed yet there was no sign of the masked vigilante. Tim was at the rooftop as usual waiting for her to show up. He wasn't certain that she would come after that revelation, but deep down he had hoped.

He wanted to see her again, to gently hold her by the arms and tell her that it was okay, that he had no problem with her being Lex Luthor's daughter and to confess that she was the love of his life and no one else could take her place in his heart.

He wanted to say that and so much more which he had never done so before in attempts of not making her get suspicious of the fact that he had known along.

He was pacing back and forth impatiently and had checked his phone multiple times but somehow couldn't bring himself to text her for fear that it would make things even worse between them.

At last, a fumbling sound was heard and he came to the railings immediately, seeing her dark silhouette climbing up. "Would you mind lending a hand?"

Quickly obliging, he grabbed her hand and helped her up. A sigh of relief escaped him upon seeing her there.

She perched up on her usual spot that overlooked the city and even though he was standing right beside her, she kept silent.

"Ren..."

"Since how long have you known about me, you stealthy little shit?" she turned to him at last and though the mask was covering her face, he could feel the intensity of her gaze despite the fact that her eyes were hidden from view.

"I don't know how long exactly."

"What do you mean by that?"

He took in a deep breath before replying, "I don't know when I realized that you and Irina Luthor were the same because it honestly didn't create much of a difference. It was just there, that feeling of knowing you, of sensing the same connection whenever I was with you, be it in the office or at the rooftop. Ren and Irina have always blurred together for me and by now I've simply accepted that."

"So you mean to say that you have no objection...?"

He looked up at her startled, "why would I have any objection?"

She peeled off her mask and her striking green eyes looked back at him. Even though it was dark at the rooftop, her eyes seemed to have a light of their own.

It was the first time he was seeing her in the vigilante suit without the mask obscuring her identity. Yet even before he had always seemed to know what the mask had been hiding but he had just never dared to tell her that.

"I'm a Luthor and you're a Wayne."

Her voice was soft but had a hint of fear in it, as if to her it was probably going to be their last conversation.

"I don't care what the people say. All I care about is you."

She leaned closer to him, her hand lingering on his cheek, "and your family?"

"They only want me to be happy and... That could only be possible if I'm with you."

She didn't answer as if she was contemplating his words in her mind.

"I love you, Irina."

And finally the words escaped his mouth, those words which she had kept teasing him about saying that he would never have the courage to say it out loud. But that moment, he just said it. No more hesitations, no more pretending. Just the truth. 

She was slightly taken aback at first since she hadn't been expecting him to confess. But quite soon the realization sunk in and a smile graced her lips as her hand trailed down to his shoulder, pulling him closer towards her.

"I love you too, Tim," she replied, gently capturing his lips with hers in a kiss.

He was a little surprised to find the coppery taste of blood on her lips and realized that in the dark he hadn't seen her clearly and she had probably just come out from a fight.

When they pulled apart, his finger gently traced the curve of her lips, "Ren, are you okay?"

"I hadn't gotten late by intention," she remarked, shrugging off his concern as she held him close. "I had to stop a mugging in West End but turned out that the thugs had back up."

Rather concerned, Tim made her get off the railings and brought her into the light so that he could see her clearly.

Blood was dried up on her mouth and on her temple and the leather collar that covered her neck was slashed through as well, claw like imprints were etched on her skin that started from her jawline and went straight down to the collarbone.

"Holy shit, Ren, and you didn't even tell me!"

She chuckled lightly, "calm down, it's nothing."

"You're coming with me right now and I won't take no for an answer," he led her to a trap door, lifted the hatch and climbed in, giving her his hand so that she could climb down as well.

Once they were in his room safely, he locked both the doors as well as secured the lock on the window.

He made her sit down on the bed and gently took off her gloves and mask, placing them on a table nearby. He had gone to fetch his first aid kit while she kicked off her boots, making herself comfortable on the soft mattress.

Tim returned shortly with his kit and placed it on the table, lifting up its latch. "If you don't get this treated soon, you'll get an infection," he mumbled as he gently held the collar away from her neck so that he could apply tincture to it. 

The red contrasted strikingly against her pale white skin and her hand gently caressed his cheek as she spoke, "why the hell are you so fucking sweet, Tim?"

A smile broke out on his face as well as he looked up straight in her green irises, "to be honest, I don't even know myself."

***