- CHAPTER 27 -

- ROCKY GROUND -
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Olivia
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"I see we have a stowaway on our hands, huh?"

A hot breath fanned my face rendering me frozen. I felt Bobby's body go stiff next to mine and the onset of fear took over. This was it. I'd been discovered. Hamish would be too late and I'd be dead before he even crossed the threshold. A rough hand grabbed my ankle and dragged me out of the safe bed we'd created, across the hard wood floor. A stray nail caught my back and I hissed in pain as it tore a rippled line in several layers of skin.

"You're hurting her!" Bobby screamed, standing up to face the big man.

The woman's nails were digging into my foot like talons and I waggled my foot to try and get her to let go. She tightened her grip. She was the predator and I was her prey.

"Stop moving, you brat." she gritted, continuing towards the ladder.

"Where are you going?!" Bobby shouted after us, trying to get past the block but was shoved back to the floor. He grabbed his head, wincing as he recovered from the fall.

"We're just going to have a little chat. That's all."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Robert
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My head throbbed. Ollie had been kicked down the ladder and I didn't know what was going on. I couldn't hear anything from downstairs. They'd locked the door behind them. There was an argument about an hour ago but since then...radio silence. I'd been hearing sounds of drawers opening and closing and a couple of panicked screeches from Hosanna but nothing that stood out; nothing that could give me a clue.

I had started pacing a while ago. I needed to know what happened to Ollie. All sorts of thoughts were flying about my head but I tried to ignore them. I didn't want to overthink. I didn't want to guess. I wanted to know.

The trap door flew open and a bag was thrown in. Richard's head popped up.

"Pack your s***, we're leaving."

"What?!"

I scrambled towards the door, screaming for answers. I scratched and clawed at the edges but the door wouldn't budge. I looked down at my hands and saw that they were all torn and bloody. I screamed in anger and pain, gargling at the end as I broke down in tears. I was certain they'd killed her. That's why we're moving. They're murderers.

Rushing over to my possessions I started hurling things. The pillows and blankets had no impact as I threw them across the attic and that only made me more frustrated as I couldn't release my emotions. Hot tears burned my cheeks and I kept ripping into my stuff. I stopped when I got to the last object. A necklace; Her necklace.

I sunk to the floor and took it up in my hand. With a sigh I put it around my neck and gathered a few things in the bag. The snacks and first aid that Ollie had brought, and her phone. I sent a text to Hamish. I told him that they planned on moving. I didn't say anything about Ollie.

The door slammed open once again and Richard marched towards me, grabbed my arm with one hand and my bag with the other.

"Where are we going?" I fearfully demanded.

"Away."

We'd reached the bottom of the ladder when I heard the booming voice of rescue.

"This is the police, put your hands up! We're armed."

"F***!" Richard dropped me to the floor and I took the chance, scrambling to the corner screaming to the police.

Richard glared at me but stood still. Loud boots stormed up the stairs and two officers were immediately on him, tackling the man to the floor and yanking his arms into hand cuffs.